Notices

Pizza, Burger and Soda from NYC !!

Old 10-24-2011, 04:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Pizza, Burger and Soda from NYC !!

Fourth night NYC and sober all the way, I must say this is a massive thing for me, truly amazing I have never known a holiday sober and I cry that I have never ever done this before truly sad.

I can only say that being in the zone in a sober and coherent way is a high in itself especially for someone like myself who has relied on alcohell for over 30 years, colours smells people wow ! Getting back to hotel after a nice meal at restaurant and reading falling asleep feeling genuinely tired is a real pleasure, waking at 630am and going for walk up 57th street, its so good I cant explain.
My Mrs and daughter not sure what's come over me ( they never knew the true extent of my problem, as 90% of my drinking was alone late at night) they cannot understand why no wine/beer LoL

Never going to drink again, maybe I am on some kind of pink cloud high but sober holidays are something else !
Old 10-24-2011, 04:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

good to hear Dark Days - enjoy the rest of your holiday

D
Old 10-24-2011, 05:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Foo Fighter.

I know exactly how you feel, so awesome, enjoy it.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good on you Dark Days that to me is a description of a good holiday, being able to really enjoy with all senses alert.

Enjoy

CaiHong
Old 10-24-2011, 06:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

And it only gets better!!
Old 10-24-2011, 06:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for that DarkDays,

I remember when I first felt like that too...it only get better and better my friend!
Old 10-24-2011, 07:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

Originally Posted by DarkDays View Post
alcohell
Perfect! "Alcohell". That is my new favorite word. Mind if I use that one?

Thanks for sharing your experience. It helped me to read this today.

Vaya con dios!
Old 10-24-2011, 07:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Fantastic! I was sober in NYC really early in sobriety. I remember it well.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Awesome!!! Love the city, what great way to 'drink it all in' by staying sober!
Old 10-24-2011, 07:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats Dark Days! Glad you are doing well and enjoying my fair city. Ps...I can't walk up 57th since it's cross town ... Lol

Your friendly New Yorker,

T
Old 10-25-2011, 07:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Last Night tonight Of a great trip , great city , still cannot beleive not one alcoholic drink, yes I can beleive because I have made my plan to never drink again, there is just too much to gain . I have read Allan Carr and rationtal recovery every night, they are kind of go along the same lines and compliment each other.

NYc, one thing and iam not tight, is porobably the most expensive place I have ever been too, London seems dirt cheap compared to this place, not been to states for long time but my oh my how things have changed
Old 10-25-2011, 07:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

DarkDays, so happy for you. I can totally relate as your trip sounds like my journey to Vegas last week. Traveling sober is a whole new experience! Glad you're enjoying your time in the Big Apple.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Come back soon! I was going to suggest a trip to Zucotti Park but sounds like you are done. The rest of the states is cheap compared to NYC. Safe travels
Old 10-26-2011, 05:30 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DarkDays View Post
Fourth night NYC and sober all the way, I must say this is a massive thing for me, truly amazing I have never known a holiday sober and I cry that I have never ever done this before truly sad.

I can only say that being in the zone in a sober and coherent way is a high in itself especially for someone like myself who has relied on alcohell for over 30 years, colours smells people wow ! Getting back to hotel after a nice meal at restaurant and reading falling asleep feeling genuinely tired is a real pleasure, waking at 630am and going for walk up 57th street, its so good I cant explain.
My Mrs and daughter not sure what's come over me ( they never knew the true extent of my problem, as 90% of my drinking was alone late at night) they cannot understand why no wine/beer LoL

Never going to drink again, maybe I am on some kind of pink cloud high but sober holidays are something else !
Don't think of it as sad, just think of it as a bonus that you can feel so positive and ejoy it now. The only reason it feels so good is that you've been to the opposite extreme. If you hadn't been there, it would just be normal.

I didn't discover Led Zeppelin until I was 35, but instead of thinking 'Damn, I could have been listening to these years ago' I just think 'Bonus, if I'd found these years ago I'd probably have been bored of them by now.'