Does The Government Enable?

Old 10-24-2011, 06:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Does The Government Enable?

I frequently post in the Alcoholism & currently have an out of control family member who is an addict. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone else think the government enables alcoholics/addicts. Up until the 90's one could get disability for being an alcoholic. An alcoholic who gets food stamps can sell them or buy booze at certain bodegas. People now can qualify for free cell phones that one can sell. Free methadone treatment for heroin addicts. Section 8 housing for low income people. Jails/prisons will always provide 3 hots & a cot and an alcoholic can make homemade booze in there. Free alcohol/drug treatment that has only a 10-15% success rate. I regretfully admit that I have taken advantage of many of these services. Granted family members can always cut off the alcoholic in their lives yet one can continue to use the system. Anyone else ever think of this?
Old 10-24-2011, 07:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
Granted family members can always cut off the alcoholic in their lives yet one can continue to use the system.

Anyone else ever think of this?

The first sentence (see above quote) is within my control.

The last sentence:

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I can not change
Courage to change the things I can, and
Wisdom to know the difference.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

No, because some people who need said services will use them correctly.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Just maybe instead of 'pondering' all these 'thoughts' you concentrate on your OWN RECOVERY.

Concentrate on what YOU can do for YOU the next time you are getting ready to go on a binge, to not pick up the drink.

Every person's 'mental, emotional, and physical bottom' is different. Some never reach it, some take years. I have one sponsee that has been a sponsee for 20 years and she FINALLY just celebrated 3 years of sobriety. Yes, she has mental issues also, and they are FINALLY being treated now that she is free of the toxins from alcohol and some drugs.

So, what are YOU doing for YOU to work on YOU?

Love and hugs,
Old 10-24-2011, 08:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My state just opened a facility for chronic inebriates to drink safely, off the streets. Not sure how I feel about this. I understand the theory but will be interested to watch how it unfolds. Will it save one person from freezing to death while passed out on the sidewalk? Sure. But will it save one person from death by chronic alcoholism? Remains to be seen...
Old 10-24-2011, 08:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Alcoholics aren't the only ones who abuse the system...
Old 10-24-2011, 10:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
TeM

I suppose you could argue that, but if those services were provided instead by private charities or family members, they'd be equally "enabling". Anything you do for a group of people in an attempt to help them will be abused by a few. It's just human nature.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

What the government does or doesn't do is one of those things covered by the Serenity Prayer, specifically in the "accept the things I cannot change" area.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wink

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
I frequently post in the Alcoholism & currently have an out of control family member who is an addict. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone else think the government enables alcoholics/addicts. Up until the 90's one could get disability for being an alcoholic. An alcoholic who gets food stamps can sell them or buy booze at certain bodegas. People now can qualify for free cell phones that one can sell. Free methadone treatment for heroin addicts. Section 8 housing for low income people. Jails/prisons will always provide 3 hots & a cot and an alcoholic can make homemade booze in there. Free alcohol/drug treatment that has only a 10-15% success rate. I regretfully admit that I have taken advantage of many of these services. Granted family members can always cut off the alcoholic in their lives yet one can continue to use the system. Anyone else ever think of this?
hi Just, you know the system is broken man. it is getting Worse not better IMHO.. i could go On and on and on about it. however, i have to be responsible and do what "i" need to do to "Take Care of Myself" and My Recovery.. Right?
Old 10-24-2011, 02:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That doesn't disturb me nearly as much as the states that are raising alcohol taxes in order to finance things like sports arenas and convention centers.

I told one politician recently that the only thing that happens when you raise taxes on alcohol is that the alcoholic's family gets less money.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Skipper

Interesting. I'm generally a political activist, and on this subject I also lean to the Work on my Own Recovery side of things.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

And doctors say a glass of wine is good with dinner. For who? Not me, that's for sure!

I'll take a nice full glass of water with ice instead... mm refreshing