Notices

New "problem drinker" here!

Old 10-23-2011, 06:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy New "problem drinker" here!

Hi everyone, here's a little about myself:

I'm a 25 yr old female from CA. I've been regularly socially drinking since I was 17. Only in the past few years have I noticed that my drinking patterns have become unhealthy and have caused me lots of stress. I wish to live a sober lifestyle but I'm not quite sure where to start. I call myself a problem drinker because although I only drink socially, once I start to drink it is very hard for me to stop, I often make poor decisions like smoke a pack of cigarettes, (even though I don't smoke and am pretty much a health nut during the week) or do a bunch of lines of coke throughout the night and feel like absolute **** both mentally and physically for days after. Those are just too examples of how alcohol has affected my life negatively. I lose control when I drink and I make very unhealthy choices for myself. I'm really worried about this pattern and I think there is really nothing else to do but quit drinking completely.

I know this is going to be really hard for me because my social life is pretty much surrounded by alcohol. This is why I've had a hard time staying sober when I've tried before. I feel like this weekend was "rock bottom" for me and although my bottom may be more shallow than others....I really need this.

I'd love support and any advice you are willing to give me!

I'd also love to make friends who wish to live a sober lifestyle like me.

Thanks!

L
Old 10-23-2011, 06:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi L

I had to make some pretty hefty changes to my life when I quit and although that was hard I don't regret them - for me the mix of me and some places and some people just don't mesh with recovery IMO.

You'll find a lot of ideas support and new friends here tho
Welcome!

D
Old 10-23-2011, 06:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, you'll find lots of support here!
Old 10-23-2011, 06:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! I'm happy you caught yourself early! .
Old 10-23-2011, 06:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I was a home alone drinker so the changes in social life I had to make were inside myself. I had to change my whole attitude but it was worth the effort. I'm sober almost two years now and feeling better than I have in a long while.

You'll find a lot of support here from people who understand what it's like for you. Welcome to the family! :ghug3
Old 10-23-2011, 06:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Pleased to meet you, goal! Congratulations for recognizing your drinking is beginning to run your life. I never acknowledged that when I was in my 20's, & kept going until I almost destroyed myself.

I, too, did dangerous & out-of-character things when I got trashed. I feel lucky to be sitting here typing this and not in jail or dead. I'm sure you'll never reach that point, because you're going to take control of your life. Keep reading & posting - we're here to support you 24/7.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for your kind words of encouragement. I will update you on my progress as I go!
Old 10-23-2011, 06:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!!
Old 10-23-2011, 06:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Your history look a lot like mine. I decided to not ever drink again this week
95% of my drinking is on weekends and I do a lot of dangerous things while drunk
I'm 21
Old 10-23-2011, 07:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! If you want to stay sober then you will most likely need to stay away from the social alcohol surround for the time be until you feel comfortable with not drinking. Second is to learn how you are wanted to drink drunk when you start drinking. Most people don't drink just because of the alcohol. They most likely have underlining issues that they are try to avoid. Third is to meet new people who don't drink or don't drink normally. Try meetup.com and see if you can find a group of people you have the same interest like you. A lot of them talk at coffee shops and it's a good way to meet new people that is not in the same circle you hang with.

Good luck!
Old 10-23-2011, 07:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AndreTT View Post
Your history look a lot like mine. I decided to not ever drink again this week
95% of my drinking is on weekends and I do a lot of dangerous things while drunk
I'm 21
Andre, feel free message me if you want support. Since we have similar patterns it might be a good idea to keep each other in check and share stories!
Old 10-23-2011, 07:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ACT10Npack View Post
Welcome to SR! If you want to stay sober then you will most likely need to stay away from the social alcohol surround for the time be until you feel comfortable with not drinking. Second is to learn how you are wanted to drink drunk when you start drinking. Most people don't drink just because of the alcohol. They most likely have underlining issues that they are try to avoid. Third is to meet new people who don't drink or don't drink normally. Try meetup.com and see if you can find a group of people you have the same interest like you. A lot of them talk at coffee shops and it's a good way to meet new people that is not in the same circle you hang with.

Good luck!
Thanks Action! You are so right. I'm a little nervous because my best friends birthday party is coming up in a couple of weeks and everyone will be drinking...i'm thinking of volunteering the be the "DD" but I worry about my ability to go through with it and not get tempted into drinking...
Old 10-23-2011, 08:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome goalofsobriety!

I'm so glad you're not waiting until you hit some kind of bottom to stop drinking. You'll be saving yourself a lot of heartache (and the people who care about you too).

I wondered if I could live without it, but the more I did, the easier it got. It's amazing (once we get used to not drinking) to discover life can be ever better without alcohol. Glad you're here!
Old 10-23-2011, 10:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

but I worry about my ability to go through with it and not get tempted into drinking...
This will sound sarcastic to everyone who hasn't yet quit, but there is a secret to this part of staying sober. Do it! That's it. You will do it, because you can. The day after your friends birthday, you will agree: there was nothing at all to worry about.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm attending the old Young Persons AA meeting tonight that I attended a few times about a year ago before I decided to go back to drinking. I'm going in with slightly new expectations now so I hope that I come out with something positive.

I'll let you know how it goes in a few hours!
Old 10-24-2011, 06:42 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Atta Girl!

You're opening doors to the Life that YOU want!! YOU deserve it!
Old 10-24-2011, 06:53 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks Deb!
Old 10-24-2011, 09:54 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I went to the meeting and I felt a lot more at home than when I tried to go to meetings last year. Lots of negative things have happened with my drinking in the past year which makes me feel like the meetings are more right for me. I still get confused and worried when I hear speaker stories that sound so much more awful than my history with alcohol...it makes me wonder if i'm making the right decision or if i'm just letting my anxiety tell me that I have a real problem...or my addiction is trying to steer me away from sobriety? ugh. Confused....

Old 10-25-2011, 04:08 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

GOS,

That is the addiction, the Alcoholic Devil Voice talking to you..and it IS trying to steer you away. Your smartest thinking got you to that meeting.

As far as others stories being so much worse than yours...you can only say that NOW...keep drinking and YOUR story will be one of them.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:14 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

I used to judge myself against other drinkers too - I ran with a pack of very heavy drinkers so it was always easy for me to find someone else 'worse then me'...I used that rationalising to continue to drink and keep drinking for a lot of years...

but you know what? It doesn't matter - the important thing was what my drinking was doing to me

D