Notices

3 weeks sober. Good and bad

Old 10-23-2011, 04:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

3 weeks sober. Good and bad

I really feel better physically and mentally. I'm going to meetings and even though I dont get everything it is powerful to sit with a group of alcoholics - me one of them - and hear stories of how life got better.

The bad is I think I lost a good friend. We drank together and she isnt communicating with me anymore. I guess the last thing she said was she was proud of me for quitting. I really need my friend now.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Your friend said she was proud of you for quitting but now won't talk to you?? I'd say she has issues of her own. That's a strange way of giving support...

Welcome to SR. YOu'll find a lot of support and useful information here.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If you change your lifestyle then you can be sure that some people will have some difficulty with it. If she was your drinking buddy then it's going to be hard for her to be with you if she is still drinking. Have you tried calling her? My best girlfriend and I are stopping together. (starting today). Good luck and try not to be hurt about her distancing herself right now. Give her a call and tell her how you are feeling. You may be surprised at what she says. good luck!
Old 10-23-2011, 04:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wow does this ever fit into my wheelhouse right now.
I am also near 3 weeks from my last drink.

I have a very good friend that I used to drink with all the time who also supports my not drinking anymore.
Well this weekend we decided to meet up and just watch the world series, something in the past we would have done in the process of getting hammered.

It was fun and of course there was no drinking involved but Just associating with him has brought back a lot of cravings / frustrations.
Maybe your friend thought spending some time apart might keep you from remembering all the drinking times you had together.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats Simple! 3 weeks is amazing. Your friend said that she is proud of you! The fact that now she is keeping distance has to do with her own issues and not you. Maybe she is realizing how much she drinks since you are not around anymore. It definitely is a shame you can't share you 3 weeks with her but true friends come around, maybe she just needs some time. In the meantime, enjoy your 3 weeks sober!!!
Old 10-24-2011, 05:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I agree with Copperfield on this one. I would guess that your friend knows that you are doing the right thing, that she is happy for you for your strength and commitment, and maybe even feels a little ashamed and guilty that she is not there with you.

See what you can do for her. She is the one now that needs your support. You will find that by helping her, you get even stronger in your drive to stay sober, and it gets you out of your head too. It works for me.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Simple, as hard as it is to understand, when we change our lifestyle we sometimes have to change what and who that includes as well. That very well could include your Good friend.

Unfortunately when we choose to change it does not mean our friends are going to make the same changes. As hard as it is to understand, it is just one more thing we need to learn to accept. I think I would be grateful that she told me that she was proud of me and that she was not trying to sabatoge my efforts and pushing the booze in my face. Stick with your sober friends (((hug)))
Old 10-24-2011, 07:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats on 3 weeks !

I can relate to losing friends when you stop being part of the circle though I experienced that with another substance many years ago. Some of the people came back into my life and some left and that was actually a good thing. The best people do come back as they understand your need to change. Give it some time and like other have said , we all have issues and any number of things could have come up.