Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

October 23 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON

Old 10-23-2011, 01:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Present

October 23 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

Sometimes, it is good to examine a commonplace familiar phrase, meditate on it, take it apart and explore its inner meaning.

We hear someone say, “He is standing in his own light.” How clearly the picture emerges of our shadowing our own happiness by mistaken thinking .Let us stand aside so the light can shine on us and on all we do, so we can see ourselves and our circumstances with true clarity.

If we have Al-Anon, there is no need to stand in our own light and try to solve our problems in darkness. The ways and means that Al-Anon offers have lighted the way for so many thousands of despairing people that no one can question their power.

TODAY’S REMINDER

When I am faced with a problem that seems impossible to solve, when I feel trapped in a situation and can see no way out, let me ask myself whether I am standing in my own light. I must find the vantage point where I can most clearly see my difficulty as it is; then, answers will come.

“…and the light shall shine in the dark places and make all clear as day.”
Old 10-23-2011, 01:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Present

When I was reading this for the first time, I was a bit confused. I thought "standing in his own light" was a person standing in the light, not a person standing in the WAY of his own light.

{Also...a nit here...when did "lighted" replace "lit" ?? I've seen it everywhere. Does anyone, except for me, and except for one who is defining "being under the influence of alcohol/substances," (e.g., "He got really lit last night") use the word, "lit," any more?}