Notices

New here

Old 10-23-2011, 07:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here

Hi all. I am new here. My sobriety date was 2/14/97 until one month ago. Have had 3 awful years, diagnosed w a mental illness & heavy complications due to that. I lost my mind, my friends, my license to practice my profession, my job. I relapsed in mid Sept and am now 1 week sober again. My soul is a broken blank. Everything that once seemed so clear & true crumbled over these years. But I am hoping God will restore me and want all the help I can get!
Old 10-23-2011, 07:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to Sober Recovery Spiderkitty!
Old 10-23-2011, 07:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks

Thanks for the welcome bike
Old 10-23-2011, 07:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to our sober family! I have received so much support and encouragement here I'm sure people with more time than I have will be along soon with wisdom and support. Great job on 1 week I'm so glad you made it back.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sorry for your diagnosis. Sending prayers!!
Old 10-23-2011, 07:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I was without a soul too, when I stopped drinking. My spiritual life was shattered and empty. Thankfully, I have found my way back and have a good spiritual connection in my life now.

I'm glad you found us!
Old 10-23-2011, 07:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome, Spiderkitty.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Spiderkitty! When I joined SR, I felt as you do. My soul was a "broken blank" as you so aptly put it. I started Recovery and I can tell you my soul has healed. I feel like its returned to me. I'm so happy you decided to give sobriety another chance. You can reclaim your life and start anew!

Congratulations on 1 week. We're here to support you all we can.

Best Wishes To You!
Old 10-23-2011, 07:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome SpiderKitty , lots of good people here on SR who are very supportive.

Looks like a lot of us lose our bodies , minds and souls for periods especially when we drink or use. I have mental health issues even when I don't drink but they sure get worse when I do.

Slowly my body is getting back from my last relapse and I am willing to give my mind a bit of a break. The rebuilding of my soul I suspect will take some time but it won't even be possible if I drink. I look forward to a return to that part of me which has been missing in the fog so long ....

Stay with us , I find SR a key place to read and share and its always close by so I never feel alone .
Old 10-23-2011, 10:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Spiderkitty,

Wow. Sounds like you have been through a lot. I am sorry.

I had years of sobriety too until I relapsed four years ago. I am now 75 days sober. I am grateful that you caught yourself now instead of spending the years I did after relapse drunk and self destructing.

Please continue to post and let us know how you are. This forum has been invaluable to me. Good luck, and take care.
Old 10-23-2011, 01:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome spiderkitty - you'll find a lot of support here

D
Old 10-23-2011, 01:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family.:ghug3
Old 10-23-2011, 06:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. Looking forward to getting to know you. Went to a great f2f meeting tonight!
Old 10-23-2011, 09:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Really glad you've joined us, spiderkitty!

Congratulations on your long period of sobriety - I'm sure you can help a lot of us as well as get support here. No surprise, but alcoholics have a much higher incidence of mental health issues.

Keep reading and posting - we're all in this together!
Old 10-26-2011, 06:07 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi all,
I have been digging in and doing things differently in hopes of getting different results. I must say that all of my close friends in my AA home group have been great. Coming over to the house in the evenings, calling to check in and most graciously, not treating me like a second class loser for having fallen down. What a relief. Oddly, more than one has said that they saw how I was getting deeper into depression and stressed to the limits but didn't want to be intrusive so they didn't call or meddle. I get that though. I was one of the "old-timers" & my husband is 20years sober. I am writing this only to encourage others who might know a person like me who hits hideous times well into sobriety, do meddle! Do intrude! You might be saving a life even if that person is surly to you.
Still on track with my new day 12.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:00 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Well your attitude is spot on spideycat. I think you have your drinking in check with your AA, but I'm worried about your MH issues. Please be as proactive seeking treatment there as you are with your sobriety. Don't be afraid to actively question your Doc, and force them to keep working with you untill you find something that works for YOU. Also don't forget that humans are complex animals, and while we tend to look to psychopharmacology to "fix" MH issues it's often "forgetting the forest for the trees". When the whole you is healthy, it's far easier on a Doc that's trying to tweak your meds and getting your feeling like you again. One last thing I want to throw in here we all know how important excercise/Phys therapy is for our bodies to stay healthy, and strong, but one of the coolest things now happening in Psychophys and Psychopharm is that MedScience is finally starting to realize that it's important to excercise/rehab the brain to maintain proper mental health. New research pops up all the time showing the profound physical effects that things like meditation and Cognitive Behavioral Therapies have on Neurophysiology. It's so cool. So don't be afraid to talk to your Doc about including therapies outside of PsychMeds to help square you back up, the whole you not just your Neurotransmitters. Sorry if I come of as preaching. I just hate to see people suffer. I wish you all the best, you found a GREAT place.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:14 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for your concern. I do have a great psychiatrist and she is working with me on the MH problems with meds and other modalities. Your good words are very appreciated and happy to meet you!
Old 10-26-2011, 03:17 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Welcome to SR! Sorry things have been so rough for you. I hope that the future looks brighter.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:22 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Pleased to meet you, Spiderkitty. It's great that you found us. We all understand just how you feel, and will be glad to join you on your journey.

Congratulations on your 'new' Day 12 - that's a huge accomplishment. Proud of you!