Notices

Every day gets better.

Old 10-22-2011, 07:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Foo Fighter.

Every day gets better.

Hello all.
Every day really does get better, Im at 8 months sober now, my name is Dan this is my first post, and here is my story in brief.

About a year ago, probably hungover at work I came to the conclusion I couldn't do this any more, feeling like crap all the time wasting all my time, money, and life drinking like an idiot for the past 35 years or so. Luckily I managed to keep from getting in any serious trouble but it was just going to be a matter of time before my luck ran out, last January I was in Daytona with my cousin for the 24 hr race, every day was drinking from morning till night, one of my problems is my high tolerance for alcohol, the amount it takes me to get buzzed would put a normal person in a coma. I told my cousin I was going to quit soon.

A week or so later I started planning for my sobriety, I decided I would have one last party for myself, so I drank everything left in the refrigerator, a pretty decent amount I might add, I could have sworn I told my wife and MIL at dinner I was stopping but apparently I just hallucinated that.

The next day was super bowl sunday, I figured its date Ill remember and half the country would be hungover Monday and I would be on my way toward the best days of my life.

At first it was difficult, but as the days and months go by it gets easier, Im even back in a band after a ten year break from the music thing, best part is just by coincidence were all non drinkers, its alot of fun not arguing with drunken idiots and just jamming like kids again.

Im going to spend alot of time here posting,how it gets easier every day and how much more enjoyable every thing is without alcohol. I wish I had done this long ago.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Welcome to SR!
Old 10-22-2011, 07:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Dan - congratulations on your sober time

D
Old 10-22-2011, 08:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Welcome Sparkydog. At 77 days myself, I starting to see what you mean!
Old 10-22-2011, 08:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

It's great to have you with us, sparkydog, and congratulations on 8 months!

Keep reading/posting - this is a great place!
Old 10-22-2011, 08:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on the 8months and welcome!
Old 10-22-2011, 08:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Dan,

I used to have a great little dog fox terrier/jack russell cross, named Sparky .
Thanks for sharing, look forward to hearing more from you.

CaiHong
Old 10-22-2011, 10:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome!
Old 10-22-2011, 10:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey Sparky - thanks for the post. I needed to read that right now. Congrats on 8 months, Im on day 8. Thank you and welcome to SR
Old 10-23-2011, 05:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Sparkydog,

I really hope you do spend a lot of time on here posting as your comments are very uplifting.
Well done on 8 months too

Clio
Old 10-23-2011, 05:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats on 8 months Sparkydog and welcome to SR! I really look forward to seeing your posts.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Foo Fighter.

Originally Posted by CaiHong View Post
Welcome Dan,

I used to have a great little dog fox terrier/jack russell cross, named Sparky .
Thanks for sharing, look forward to hearing more from you.

CaiHong
My screen name is in remembrance of my dog Sparky, best friend I ever had, hes been gone 12 years and I still think about him every day. Shepard doberman mix, just a big ole hairy black and tan hound dog.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Talking

Originally Posted by Sparkydog View Post
My screen name is in remembrance of my dog Sparky, best friend I ever had, hes been gone 12 years and I still think about him every day. Shepard doberman mix, just a big ole hairy black and tan hound dog.
welcome Sparkydog!
Old 10-23-2011, 05:54 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome Sparkydog!!

Reading your story was a great way to start the day!
Old 10-23-2011, 06:07 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Foo Fighter.

I should probably get started with my day, gotta few things to do. Make 5 days of breakfast and 3 lunches, mow the lawn, replace the batteries in the smoke detectors, figure out the oil leak in the project car, practice some guitar solos, read the paper, clean the toilets, watch my football team lose, manage the fantasy teams, sit in the hot tub, make some more to do lists. Just another lazy day sober at my house.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:14 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I love your attitude - it's so happy and positive.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:29 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks for the inspiration Sparky! Always nice to start the day with proof life without alcohol is so much more rewarding and just keeps getting better.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:39 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

What a great post! Loved the To Do List. I used to be able to get that much done, too! Only sober, though.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:36 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sparkydog View Post
Hi, I was reading over your past posts after you posted in my thread and I just wanted to say - number one - thank you for your inspiring post. I'm so glad to hear it gets better. I hope I can have this same experience. And - number two - I have a black and tan shepherd rottweiler mix who is a fantastic dog and I love her so much! I'm sorry to hear about your dog passing but I think it's sweet that you remember him after all this time. I had a little wiry dog named Sparky when I was a kid, and some mean teenagers ran over him in their car on purpose, when I was bike-riding with my dad. How sad. Anyway, thanks for sharing, from one mutt-dog-lover (I also have a corgi mix!), to another.