Notices

What was your lowest point while drinking?

Old 10-21-2011, 11:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What was your lowest point while drinking?

I think we've all probably got more than one low point when it comes to alcohol. And I've been pretty tempted today.. it keeps running thru my mind that I could probably just drink a little, and on special occassions. My biggest problem is I tend to be extremely impulsive. That's what I worry about the most. That I could just blow it all on a whim..

Okay, so I've deleted my story. I felt pretty vulnerable telling about it, and now I don't feel so good about sharing. Thanks, I see your points.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I appreciate what you're trying to do, but I'm not sure reading about others lowest points ever kept me sober, risydawn.

I see a lot of newcomers coming in here who want to hear about the bad stuff cos they think it will help keep them on the straight and narrow.

I gotta tell ya - that never seemed to work for me.

I drank my way past a lot of catastrophes and close shaves that should have stopped me, and would have stopped others....I was always able to rationalise my way out of things like that...heck I was so sick I even wore my close shaves and disasters as a kind of badge.

What has really kept me sober is building a life I wanted to live and being a person I wanted to be.

I think positive motivation (and actively finding and using a lot of support) works better in the long run, that negative motivation does

D
Old 10-21-2011, 11:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Originally Posted by risydawn View Post
My biggest problem is I tend to be extremely impulsive. That's what I worry about the most. That I could just blow it all on a whim..
IME, if you are concerned about losing your sobriety it may be because you haven't prepared yourself with a plan of how to stay sober. The best way to avoid being impulsive is to be deliberate about your sobriety.

As far as low points go... I prefer not to revisit them myself, but instead try to focus on the positives of my sobriety. Left to my own devices, fear of "lowering my bottom" isn't enough to keep me sober.

Stay strong!
Old 10-21-2011, 11:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have many low points when it comes to drinking. I've gotten overly emotional and acted out in ways that I am ashamed of. I don't even remember some things I've done/said but I'm still ashamed/embarrassed about them. My drinking has been unpredictable. I don't know WHAT'S going to happen. And that's scary...
Old 10-22-2011, 03:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

risy,

i agree with dee

even at the lowest of lows, we all can have a hell of a lot of "yets"!
Old 10-22-2011, 03:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I’ve always thought of low points like quicksand, no real hard bottom just steady slow sinking, the saying ‘it can’t get any worse’ doesn’t apply.

Just drinking a little doesn’t work for me, that’s what finally sunk in, I’m very impulsive too, but drinking alcohol isn’t an option for me anymore, have you made a PROMISE to YOURSELF that you will NEVER DRINK again?

I understand you have about 6 weeks, that’s great!
Old 10-22-2011, 04:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

I never could scare myself into staying sober. I had to WANT it. To WANT all the good things that come with sobriety. The peace, the health, the relationships.

Because those things? you can't have in active alcoholism. But I could always persuade myself that I could keep drinking while avoiding the awful things. (which of course, I couldn't).
Old 10-22-2011, 04:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've had my falls but when you decide that you're going to become sober and live a new life, you don't look behind.. you look 100% forward and enjoy life.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

Are you ready to stay stopped?
Old 10-22-2011, 11:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
csim

Risydawn,

I hope you don't feel bad about asking this question.. I understand where everyone is coming from saying maybe it's not a good idea to ask whatever whatever... I felt maybe they came on a little strong to you. It's not a big deal to ask. I've told alot of people my bad s.it that i've done and sometimes it helps people. Sometimes it doesn't. I personally am not one to learn from other peoples mistakes but it can be done. I've done alot of horrible things but the most current was I totaled my car into a tree. I think if you can think of something that is horrible it has most definitely been done when someone was drunk. Don't feel bad for asking!
Old 10-22-2011, 11:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by risydawn View Post
I think we've all probably got more than one low point when it comes to alcohol. And I've been pretty tempted today.. it keeps running thru my mind that I could probably just drink a little, and on special occassions. My biggest problem is I tend to be extremely impulsive. That's what I worry about the most. That I could just blow it all on a whim..

Okay, so I've deleted my story. I felt pretty vulnerable telling about it, and now I don't feel so good about sharing. Thanks, I see your points.
Every day I picked up was my lowest point
Old 10-22-2011, 03:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi, I'm new to the board. I hit my low point on wednesday night, but I suppose that's all relative. I totaled my car, injured another person (not too bad thank God), and refused a breathalyzer test based on some bad legal counsel I got a long time ago. It's my first offense but I'm facing two years of not having a driver's license. On top of that, I'm a brand-new engineer looking for a job and not being able to drive will disqualify me from about 75% of the jobs out there - not to mention how many people won't hire me if the DUI sticks. This is the lowest point of my life. I decided the next day to stay sober and I made a promise to my wife and unborn child. This is the only way I know that I will stick with the promise. Good luck to everyone else who is at a low point and trying to turn it around
Old 10-22-2011, 03:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR R3covery

D
Old 10-22-2011, 04:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My lowest point was every morning when I woke up feeling horrible and hating myself. Thank goodness that's in the past.