Notices

Starting to feel "normal"

Old 10-20-2011, 07:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Starting to feel "normal"

21 days and counting! What a ride it's been, first few days sick, next few feeling extra good, then back to not so hot then feeling emotional. Second guessing myself and questioning my own judgement. Yep, all that stuff in just a few weeks...

Today I woke at a reasonable time felt rested and ready for the day. I ate a nice oatmeal breakfast, had carrot, tomato and celery juice for lunch and pumpkin soup for dinner. I've had energy all day, no bummer thoughts, feel relaxed and ready to do some reading then get another night sleep.

I am living proof that it can be done, if you're new to this group and are wondering, I was the guy who had been a daily drinker for 20 years but escalated to being drunk or buzzed from the time I woke until I passed out at night since March.

Now I'm sober and if it wasn't actually happening to me I wouldn't have believed it possible.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you!!!!! Very inspiring. Btw, I love your pic, haha.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

Keep moving forward!
Old 10-21-2011, 04:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wyldwest View Post
21 days and counting! What a ride it's been, first few days sick, next few feeling extra good, then back to not so hot then feeling emotional. Second guessing myself and questioning my own judgement. Yep, all that stuff in just a few weeks...

Today I woke at a reasonable time felt rested and ready for the day. I ate a nice oatmeal breakfast, had carrot, tomato and celery juice for lunch and pumpkin soup for dinner. I've had energy all day, no bummer thoughts, feel relaxed and ready to do some reading then get another night sleep.

I am living proof that it can be done, if you're new to this group and are wondering, I was the guy who had been a daily drinker for 20 years but escalated to being drunk or buzzed from the time I woke until I passed out at night since March.

Now I'm sober and if it wasn't actually happening to me I wouldn't have believed it possible.
Love your avatar. Great laugh for the day. Sober after 20 years drinking? YOU ROCK! Great job on your sobriety. Keep up the good work. It is so worth it. Whats really cool is the moment you say to yourself, "hey, I am a pretty ok person sober" imagine that.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

That's awesome, I'm very happy for you!

Don't be surprised if the sense of normalcy passes and you have days where you feel a lack of progress -- I'm at 6 months and these days still come occasionally. If you're not prepared for them they can really throw you off, but it makes sense if you've been a daily drinker for so long that it takes some time for the damage to be repaired.

When things feel normal though it is quite a good feeling, so enjoy it!
Old 10-21-2011, 11:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Feeling Great again today!

Everybody have a fantastic & sober weekend :-)
Old 10-21-2011, 05:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 21 days!

It seems like 20 years of daily drinking would be a pretty ingrained habit. Are you working some type of program to help?
Old 10-21-2011, 07:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good

It can be done.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 View Post
Congratulations on 21 days!

It seems like 20 years of daily drinking would be a pretty ingrained habit. Are you working some type of program to help?
Thanks for the congrats Zebra! 24 now, weekend was a breeze.

No programs, I actually planned my quitting date weeks in advance, I went to Vegas had a really fun trip. By the last day of the trip I was ready to stop drinking. The most difficult part for me is my wife and our friends still drink so now I'm kind of an outcast :-) But I don't care... I feel great on Sunday morning and it makes me feel kind of (for lack of a better word) powerful? Not that I'm better than them, just strong willed, in control of myself and I like it!
Old 10-23-2011, 04:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Like you, wyldwest, I decided to quit, so I did. I agree so much with that feeling you described as 'powerful' and 'in control'. I didn't know either if my will was going to be strong enough, but it is. Now I know that my will is stronger than my alcoholic voice, that little creep. Never did like him.

So, now you can do things that used to scare the bejeesus out of you, what's next?
Old 10-23-2011, 04:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I"m so glad I googled and found this site. I need help and support to stop drinking. I have wanted to stop for a long time (years) and I'm at the point now where I really really want to stop. It's inspiring to read these posts and know that you are all there doing this with me!!! Thanks for sharing your stories. Today is my first day of not drinking... I know I'll be tempted this week, but I'm not going to drink. I'm going to come here instead!!! Thank you thank you. Danica
Old 10-23-2011, 04:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome Danica, and great job Wyldwest!!!! I love reading positive posts like yours - you have a great attitude, Wyldwest.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Wyld - I'm so proud of your accomplishment. I agree, you have a great attitude, and that makes it so much easier. I was very resentful, and that gets us nowhere.

Danica - welcome to our family! We're so glad to meet you. Tell us more.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Great job on the sobriety! I have many friends and family who drink and I've been pondering how I'm going to cope with the drinking situations that will inevitably arise and I've decided I'm just going to say "No thanks" and keep it at that. If they ask further I'll just say "you know, I used to drink but I found out it's not for me". Should be enough said.

Danica, You've come to the right place. Everyone was at day 1 at some point, so keep your chin up and stay sober!
Old 10-23-2011, 05:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Way to go Wyld. Three weeks is awesome.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

your an inspiration Wyld! congrats!
Old 10-26-2011, 06:00 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Ramblings of a hopeful human

Another nice day, woke up this morning with that annoying headache again but after a nice breakfast and a few glasses of water it did subside.

I spent a lot of time outside yesterday and today. It's very cold but sunny and dry.

No alcohol cravings I really don't miss the stuff, I think I must have caught myself at the perfect point in a cycle.

I may have also found a job recently. Phone interview followed by a face to face.

Gray skies are gunna clear up :-)
Old 10-26-2011, 06:34 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on the interview and your sobriety. Keep on keepin' on.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:00 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

-- 45 Days and walking every day --

So now instead of a screwdriver and a flop on the couch, I get up and walk for 30 minutes. It's really made a big difference in my attitude and it's nice to get out and enjoy the morning. I've made big changes in my diet as well which I'm sure has a lot to do with how much better I'm feeling these days...

I read a book that I would like to share, it really goes right in line with my own personal thoughts of late. The book is called [8 weeks to optimum health]. Just like most self help books, not everything is for me but I must admit, there's more there for me than not!
I'm starting week 3 now and feeling better every day!!!

So anyway, if you're so inclined and read the book. Please let me know if you liked it. Because if I'm the only one that liked it, I'll stop suggesting it :-)

Want of foresight, unwillingness to act when action would be simple and effective, lack of clear thinking, confusions of counsel, until the emergency comes, until self-preservation strikes its jarring gong – these are the features that constitute the endless repetition of history.

- Winston Churchill
Old 11-13-2011, 08:09 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Excellent, Wyld! Love it. Thanks for the inspiration.