Notices

Holy hell I just watched Rain in My Heart

Old 10-19-2011, 10:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Holy hell I just watched Rain in My Heart

Ugh. That was tough. Watching the people talk--even when sober--really hits home how much brain damage must be going on.

For me, however, the most powerful part was watching the 43 year old woman slowly get drunk again and seeing her get a buzz on...not worth it. It's really ugly.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((Cardio))) - I'd never heard of it until I saw it mentioned here. It is tough to watch, but does a great job of showing what alcoholism (and addiction, in general) can do to us, and it's not pretty

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 10-19-2011, 10:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cardio View Post
Ugh. That was tough. Watching the people talk--even when sober--really hits home how much brain damage must be going on.

For me, however, the most powerful part was watching the 43 year old woman slowly get drunk again and seeing her get a buzz on...not worth it. It's really ugly.
What got me the most was that one alcoholic saying she drank because she was "bored." And then she died.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah, its a tough one for sure. For those that don't try to work on their addictions now could be looking into a mirror of the future.

We can overcome this & live happy productive lives. All of the best in your recovery
Old 10-19-2011, 01:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I watched this on youtube about six months ago and I can honestly say it didn't spur me on to quit. All I saw were terribly addicted individuals who were hopeless because no useful programs of recovery were being offered to them, they were merely left to degrade further into their alcoholism and in many cases die.

I would like to see a similar series created, but with stories of recovery and hope. Perhaps there could be stories that weren't so focused on the end stages of alcoholism. I realise that it's good to show this side and where it can end up, but there is also hope for people before that stage is reached. Well that's my two cents anyway.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Did anyone find a usable torrent being 'seeded' of this documentary? Thanks
Old 10-19-2011, 03:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

What bothered me about this documentary was that the people were in various crises, health and otherwise, yet still drank. Shows how strong the addiction can be... And it made me glad I'd stopped drinking before I got that bad.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It is a powerful and painful thing to watch. IBut, alcoholism is progressive. It is a life and death battle. Watching that video made me clearly see where I am headed if I do not stop drinking. It is a horrible way to live (not really living, actually). It made me very grateful for another sober day.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I would be interested in downloading the program, I can't access youtube here, (banned). Any alternatives?

After reading the posts regarding the program I am not sure how useful it would be in my revovery, apart from scaring the hell out of me, if alternative ways of dealing with alcoholism, apart from dying, are not shown. I was watching a doco the other day on organ transplants, this middleaged alcoholic guy was given a liver with the stipulation he could never drink again. He really did want to drink again and was hanging out with his mates at the pub sucking back sodas. I wonder how long it would take for him to drink again. There was no mention of what he was doing to combat his alcoholism.

If I had to just rely on willpower alone to stop drinking I would definitely be drinking again.
CaiHong
Old 10-19-2011, 11:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Here is the link to Revisiting Rain in my Heart from the BBC website:

BBC News Player - Revisiting Rain in my Heart
Old 10-20-2011, 12:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I think if anything is underlines the flippant attitude to drinking we have in the UK and Ireland where an alcoholic is someone who is the 'village drunk' (sleeps in a hedge with a woollen hat).
Old 10-20-2011, 01:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

I, like some above watched this documentary years back, it tore me up, but I went right back to drinking (and chain-smoking just like that woman).

Now days, seeing the young man in the 50\50 (life or death) situation with obvious signs of liver failure makes me 'dislike' myself for continuing as long as I have.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

I, like some above watched this documentary years back, it tore me up, but I went right back to drinking (and chain-smoking just like that woman).

Now days, seeing the young man in the 50\50 (life or death) situation with obvious signs of liver failure makes me 'dislike' myself for continuing as long as I have.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:14 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

Sorry for the double post... Got a Data base error when clicking. :-\

(Mod can delete this and my #13 post please...)
Old 10-20-2011, 06:00 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It really made a big impact on me. I keep seeing Mark *chugging* that pint of red wine, Lavanda sllooowly getting drunk and realizing too late it wasn't worth it, and Toni dying with tubes up her nose and in her throat.

It's the logical conclusion. End result. Its what the kind of drinking *I* do will end up looking like at some point unless I get off the slippery slope.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:17 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
I think it was well done, precisely because it is not a spectacle like Intervention and other reality TV shows. If you watch the follow-up, Mark says that he decided to quit after he watched the video and saw himself in it.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:47 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I did see the follow up. It was still scary watching him after the fact because his hold on sobriety still looked so tenuous. That was actually disheartening. I hope he's still doing well. I understand that Lavanda is dead.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:26 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by Cardio View Post
I did see the follow up. It was still scary watching him after the fact because his hold on sobriety still looked so tenuous. That was actually disheartening. I hope he's still doing well. I understand that Lavanda is dead.
Your hold can be as tenuous or as solid as you want it to be, Cardio. I reached such depths of despair that I actually do not fault certain people in my life for not believing that I will never drink again. In fact, I might think that they had a few screws loose if they did believe me. Others who did not witness my descent dismiss the ordeal with a wave of the hand and say "he didn't really have the problem in the first place; nobody can just quit, not if they are alcoholic."

I have found the perfect solution to both scenarios. I imagine that I am the first person in the history of mankind to ever quit their addiction, which puts things in their proper perspective. Just like that, all the naysayers, lousy recovery statistics, and those who would pigeonhole me vanish into irrelevancy. The only thing that matters is what I say, and I say that I will never drink again, and that I will never change my mind.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:40 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

For me Rain in my Heart showed glimpse of my own drinking , which has mainly been binges the last 5 years , but the I have same disregard for consequences of health and otherwise during them and showed to my own eyes I can easily be in their place given time.

The grip that alcohol tightens around some people , including myself , is very powerful . The days of laughing off yet another hangover are so far in the past for me...I mean if I use eventually I will stave off the pain of withdrawal by drinking and that's a really vicious cycle and gets more difficult to break over time.

The stigma and misconceptions about this disease and the ability to track its full toll on people and lives seem to leave it withering in terms of research funding and new possible treatments. There are very good support programs like AA and others but there may actually be better medical ways to intervene and stop the cycle for people waiting to be found. For my kids , one way will be to ensure they know they are likely to have a problem , particularly my son, and to let them know what it has cost me and how being the life of the party at 20 can mean a set of years of misery down the road. My parents and family hid the alcohol problems within the extended family. Neither of my parents were alcoholics but an aunt and others in the family tree sure were. My bother is an alcoholic too.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:17 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I watched all parts Friday night and holy hell is right!!! Mark's yellow eye's totally freaked me out and then to watch him slam the pilsner of wine, throw up, and turn around and slam another one??!!! OMG!! So heart breaking. Sadly, I'm not surprised that Vanda died. She sure didn't seem to want to live at all during most of that, but that's just my opinion. The thing that got me was watching all the lies and deceit and hearing so many of the same things I've said over the years. Needless to say that was very humbling.

The older gentleman (can't remember his name off hand) reminds me of my MIL's husband. He was a hardcore AH and once told me he drank a 5th of Jack Daniels every day until he got sober 15-16 years ago. He goes to AA all the time and hasn't relapsed at all but his liver is shot. He has to take medication to help his liver process everything and if he doesn't he starts feeling really bad...I forget the exact name of the issue but it is toxicity in the blood I think. Anyway, his liver is shot even though he hasn't had a drink in many years. That scares me more than anything!!! Fortunately, my latest blood work shows my liver functioning normally...guess I dodged a bullet!