Notices

Call me crazy, but I think my memories coming back!

Old 10-18-2011, 06:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Call me crazy, but I think my memories coming back!

Here's my question of the morning: How long did it take all of you for your brain to recover? The reason I'm asking, is that I feel like I can remember things so much better lately. I know that's like "No $hit Sherlock", but the gradual degradation of brain power is such a slow change, that until you remove the intoxicants, you don't realize how impaired you were. I also feel like I'm ultrasensitive to other people's vibe....I know that sounds cheesy/new age but, it's like there's not the membrane between me and other people. (Not saying that's entirely pleasant either!)

So, what's the general brain healing process and recovery time?

I'm off to work....hope this isn't too lame of question
Old 10-18-2011, 07:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's a good question. I would like to know that myself. I am good for short periods of time and I think I am doing so much better, then all of a sudden I become a dingbat again. Forgetting even the easiest names.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can only imagine that the whole brain recovery would be over a matter of years. For me, I'm noticing I can already think quicker, focus better, and react faster.. and that's after only 10 days! I'm sure the most dramatic results are in the very beginning.. kind of like a logarithmic recovery curve. But then again.. I'm sure it's different for everyone.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree brain recovery is a process. I remember when my mom had a mild concussion..they said minimal a year to even begin to expect almost total recovery...and I know it's different brain damage..but still think it takes while..but it's exciting experiencing the improvements!!
And no Jd, I kind of get what you mean- I'm actually seeing people again- not just blurring over them.
It's been little over 10 months for me and I'm improving all the time, not straight line improvement but going in the right direction and that's what counts!
Enjoy!
Old 10-18-2011, 09:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm at 10+ months, and the other day I had a "White-In" where I suddenly remembered the events of a blackout! Such icky memories that I went to additional f2f support meetings.

Luckily the blackout I sudden remembered was bad but not super bad. I am a little more prepared for "White-Ins" now. I just hope I didn't do anything really horrible in a blackout...

The good thing is my brain is recovering, and I have tools to deal with the emotions and repercussions of those blackouts...
Old 10-18-2011, 09:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Jd: I have wondered about this also. I have stopped a few times over the past 5 months. I'm on day 14 right now. What I have noticed is that after 1-2 weeks I begin to have extremely vivid dreams. Some are scary, some weird, some happy. But, they are all extremely intense. It is as if my brain is waking up and discovering that it can have some exercise. As far as waking memory, I guess I notice a little better performance, but nothing highly significant. I often wonder if it is my freaking out brain that drives me to drink or my drinking that causes my brain to retreat. Which is it? Good luck to you.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am at 32 days right now, and the "brain fog" seems to have lifted somewhat. I am remembering more and starting to feel like I can actually accomplish things again. But I still have "brain farts" often, where I just loose track of my thoughts completely. Also having the very vivid dreams. Glad I am not the only one.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I'm am getting close to celebrating 3 years sober. The brain fog has lifted for sure. It's not uncommon for me though, to suddenly remember something I did back in my drinking days.

For me it's been a process and is on-going.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

at 5 months, I'm still recovering from some brain fog. I can notice a difference each day, and that's scary!
Old 10-18-2011, 03:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

By the end of 2 months...I was back in both mental and physical balance....
It was steady improvement tho..not a zip zap....
Old 10-18-2011, 07:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by MrAverage View Post
I'm sure the most dramatic results are in the very beginning.. kind of like a logarithmic recovery curve. But then again.. I'm sure it's different for everyone.
I relapsed over a dozen times with 30+ days dry each time. I found the most "dramatic results" to be in the first 2 - 3 week range. I also discovered a high quality vitamin B supplement such as Balanced B-50 made a significant difference.

To give you some idea how important B-50 is to me now, if I forget to take my vitamins for a couple of days, I forget where I keep my vitamins.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm going to the health food store and buying the B vitamin....thanks for the tip.....

The only thing that's a drag about my brain coming back "online" is that I remember and can feel all things that made me want to use in the first place!!!
Old 10-19-2011, 07:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
TheMostSordidSpotOnEarth

It took quite awhile for me.

I remember having shifts at 1 month, 3 months, 6 months, 8 months, 1 year, 1 1/2 years...it got worse, and then it got better.

I went for an MRI of the brain last spring after 2 years clean/sober, and the results came back normal.

At times, I believe my brain is still healing from everything I put it through.

The most helpful outside resources I have found that describes what I've experienced are on something called PAWS -- Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome.

In my case, recognizing what I was going through as part of the process, and being able to become patient with the healing (what other choice is there? it's not something I get to choose), while practicing abstinence and working a program of recovery, have been my way forward.

Today, I like to think of everything as a gift -- including this.

With love,

SIU