Notices

What a suprise, another relapse.

Old 10-18-2011, 05:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

What a suprise, another relapse.

I drank 23 beers last night and feel terrible today. I would like to say I am a functioning alchoholic, but i dont even think thats plausible. Functioning and alcoholic in the same sentence? I am exhausted, and know I have to stop this cycle. I really wish I could afford rehab, because at this point, I am thinking its the only thing that will work for me. I dont understand why I stay so selfish, that a liquid can overpower me the way it does. I am just sick of living this way. I am wasting away slowly.

Old 10-18-2011, 05:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Dominica I'm so sorry. Can you go to a meeting today?
Old 10-18-2011, 05:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

As long as drinking is still an option you will continue to drink.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

YES. I will definitely go to a meeting today. I really need it.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Dominica,

At the very least, you are still posting. Still reaching out. The salvation army offers rehab programs at no cost. Perhaps, you could look into that. Do you know what prompted the drinking episode? I know for me, it is negative thinking.

take care of yourself and know you are not alone.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've looked into rehab options for my AS.

The Salvation Army offer good residential and non residential rehab programs. The program is means tested. If on benefits it's about 80% of your benefits.

This covers your food, accommodation and the full program. The program's I was looking at ran for around 10 months.

They say you have to go into detox first which is about 7 days and the Salvation Army also do this.

Well this is the information I was given for my son who has a an issue with substance abuse.

Some of the rehab facilities were in very nice locations.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

Anxiety. I feel bad for the things I do when I drink when I am sober. Which in turns makes me drink again, its a circle that makes no sense.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sorry, just to clarify, the 80% of benefits was for the residential program. They said he would likely end up on sickness benefits whilst he was in there.

I don't know what the cost is for non residential and if it's the same for everyone and every circumstance.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

Best wishes on staying stopped!
Old 10-18-2011, 06:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

We(those of us who have recovered) have a precise, clear-cut set of instructions that if you are willing to follow...will give you permanent sobriety...and you never (yup, that's right, never) have to worry about another relapse.

The question is: "Are you willing little sister?"
Old 10-18-2011, 06:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sorry you feel so bad

I hope you can stay stopped xxxx
Old 10-18-2011, 06:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

I have been ready for 3 years. I just need to beat the withdrawal, thats my biggest fear.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dominica2 View Post
I have been ready for 3 years. I just need to beat the withdrawal, thats my biggest fear.
Fear=reliance upon self, and hasn't self always failed us? It did me.

If your done head over to AA and get cranking on the steps...I bet a personal relationship with your Creator could get you past those fears and DTs. That's what the steps do, they give us a relationship with Power, by which we can live, and we don't ever have to worry about any of that mess again.

Peace.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:11 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Dominica2,

Have you looked into low-cost/free rehabs in your area? What are YOU doing to stay sober and get better?
Old 10-18-2011, 07:14 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Do you have health insurance?? I have been to two rehabs,, one in florida,, one in california
Old 10-18-2011, 07:18 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Dominica.. I don't mean to pry, and you don't have to answer, but what techniques and methods have you used to deal with withdrawal and cravings? I'm curious because I'm sure that a ton of people here could offer some valuable insight as to how to tweak your plan to possibly increase your success.

Also, it's hard to stay positive after a relapse. But the reality is, you admit you have a problem and you are trying to get better. Just with that, you're doing SOOO much better than those who refuse to admit their alcohol use is having a tremendous impact on their life. You already beat the hardest part of the game! That's something to be very proud of. Now it's only a matter of learning to play the rest. I said it yesterday, and I'll say it again today.. when learning something new (like sobriety), there will be failures. The difference between someone who dies of alcoholism and someone who becomes a fully recovered alcoholic is that of persistence and a refusal to give up.

It will be hell for a while. You.. can.. not.. give.. up. It may well be the worst time of your life. But why not suffer the worst part of life to be able to live the rest?
Old 10-18-2011, 07:46 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

I have just been, dealing with the witdrawals by walking. Thats about it. I go to the gym if I dont drink. I am starting school in January and I really want to be focused walking into it. Today will be the day I quit for a long time, hopefully foreever. I dont have any health insurance, so rehab is something I will have to look into. Right now, im just exhausted of waking up feeling like this. I can do it though, I know it.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:56 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Don't wait to look into rehab. Take action now!
Old 10-18-2011, 08:00 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dominica2 View Post
Today will be the day I quit for a long time, hopefully foreever.
I really am not trying to sound like a jerk when I say this.. but that right there makes it sound like you're not fully committed. If you carry that mentality into rehab, no matter how good a program it is, it simply won't work in the long run for you. I won't sugarcoat the fact that if you aren't completely sure that you are ready to be done with alcohol -forever-, you will -not- recover. I'm sure most people here would agree.

Many people here will say to take it day by day, hour by hour if you have to. That's very useful advice.. but in addition to that, there has to be something in the back of your mind that carries some small degree of resolve and strength needed to be rid of that poison for the rest of your life.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:04 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Sorry D. I'm there so often myself. I know the pain and disapointment we feel with ourselves. The fact that you kept track of the number of cans tells you that you were trying to resist. I do that also. I get in a mode where I am obsessed with finishing the box. Then I feel useless and weak. Lately I have been trying to take a more passive approach with my relapses. I can't take it back, and it seems to do little good to beat myself up for a few days (or drink for a few days). Now I just try to emotionally regroup, and pick up where I was before the fall. We can only keep going forward if we are to survive. And survive we must, because both you and I know that as time goes on each relapse gets worse and we find new ways to drink more and more alcohol. I'm thinking of you today and I wish you luck. Hang in there.