Notices

Checking in

Old 10-17-2011, 07:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Checking in

Its been a while since I've posted, but I read the posts here everyday and am so grateful to have a forum like this to come to. There is so much wisdom, support and encouragement here. I go to AA (I'm 67 days sober) but haven't been able to make them lately as I've been in the hospital with my son who has brain cancer. In the hospital I check and read this site frequently from my iPhone and it's sort of like having a meeting with me at all times. It gives me comfort and hope, thank you so much to everyone.
I remembered today that a few months ago I was sneaking wine into the Children's Hospital to drink away my stress and fear! Now, despite what I'm going through, my life is already so much better. I feel a deep seated peace about not drinking, and that is a miracle for me! I am emotionally present for my son and for that I am grateful. If you are new, please know that it is possible to get sober under any conditions if you want it badly enough. I couldn't imagine a life without alcohol, and now I barely even think about it. I believed y'all when u said it would get better and tho my circumstances are still the same and extremely scary and stressful, it has gotten better! That obsession is just no longer there, and with your help and outside help, I am learning to like myself and am learning a whole new way of life! Just wanted to say thank you to all of you and encourage anyone starting out on this journey to not give up!
Old 10-17-2011, 08:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad to read your post Eliasson - congratulations
Best wishes and prayers to you and your family

D
Old 10-17-2011, 08:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the update, Eliasson. I've thought about you and your family—I am so glad for everyone that you're doing so well in your recovery. Continued admiration and best wishes.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

That is a wonderful update. Congratulations on your sober time. How is your son doing? Best wishes to you all!
Old 10-17-2011, 08:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Prayers continue for you and your family...

Well done on your recovery time..
Old 10-17-2011, 09:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Such an inspiring post, Eliasson! Thanks!

I'm so happy for you and can relate to the feeling of " learning to like myself again." I'm sure your son is benefiting as well. Congratulations on your 67 days!!
Old 10-17-2011, 10:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

Thanks for the update. You're an inspiration to me and I am grateful to "know" you. AA online chatroom has meetings at set times with open chat in between.

Prayers sent to you!

Congratulations on 67 days!
Old 10-18-2011, 06:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Eliasson,

I was wondering where you were! Your posts have helped me a lot. I am glad you are doing well with sobriety (I am at just about the same number of days as you) and wish only the best for you. My twin brother had brain cancer - I know a little about what you are going through. I wish there was something I could do to help.

Just know that you and your son are in my prayers. And I am proud of you for how you are handling things. Take care.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great to hear from you Eliasson,

It means a lot to hear from people who articulate their feelings so well and take the time to give us an update on how they are travelling.

CaiHong
Old 10-18-2011, 06:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you for that post Eliasson,

I love that you feel like you have us with you on your I-phone
Prayers and postive thoughts being sent your way. Big Hug
Old 10-18-2011, 07:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

I'm glad that you are feeling at peace with your sobriety -- that was the real difference maker for me as well. This time I feel at peace. Sending prayers your direction for your son & family.

Best wishes and thanks for the update.