Notices

Strange Conversation with a drunk

Old 10-17-2011, 06:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Strange Conversation with a drunk

Hey 329 days sober. I've not checked on that number in a long time. I used to post quite a bit at the start. Not so much now. Feel pretty strong. Not thinking of drinking too much. I've become the guy that does not drink. When my office goes out for beers its' pretty funny. They sit and have 2-3 beers and get tipsy. Jeeze that would just be the start for me. I'd have to drink have a bottle of scotch to really get my party on.....

Enough on that. I have a story to tell:

I was in the Maritimes (Nova Scotia) on business last week. A conference. Lots of social drinking etc. I stuck with coffee of course. People ask me to have a drink to talk over business. I have to say I'm on the wagon. It's akward. Not hard. Just Akward.

This guy I knew form college was there. I emailed him before and told him I was not drinking. We went out a couple of nights after the conference. We went to this bar where they make "Supposedly" the best white Russian on the planet. He insists I have a sip. I don't. What an arse. The next night the same. Even more pushy. We're at this great Irish pub with great music eating. I'm having coffee and loving the music and atmosphere. He's pounding double scotches. I have no interest in drinking. None at all. Yet he tells me that I"m not having fun and I should have a drink. I tell him I'm having a great time. He's the one whose got the problem and I"m right.

What an arse. I had to tell him if he keeps it up I will leave. He finally simmers down. While he drinks he admits some pretty serious metal defects he has. Serious stuff I mean. Stuff that he thinks about that could get him locked up if he acted on. I'm shocked. Disgusted. Why is he telling me this stuff? He's a guy I've not seen in years. He also admits to helping some guy with his grow up on the side. Like CMON! Give me brake. I don't want to know this stuff. And I know he's serious.

Anyway. I think he's disgusting. I can't see him saying any of that stuff unless he was drinking. What is it about booze that just makes some people get verbal diarrhea?

I don't have a question. Were these the types of people I was hanging out with? What absolute human trash.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I dunno Tendencies - I used to be that guy, maybe you did too?
I just get away from those guys, now.

Ok, he was boorish, inappropriate and a pain in the neck, but personally, I think 'absolute human trash' is harsh.

I bet he's harsher on himself tho.

D
Old 10-17-2011, 07:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

In this day and age where most of us have cameras and audio recorders in our cell-phones, we can take pictures and sound bites of drunkards and let them see what we see when sober.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It wasn't the drinking that bothered me. Sorry I was not more clear. Looking at my post I do seem harsh without this clarification. It was the disturbing things he talked about doing. Thinking of doing to be precise. You can't arrest someone for their thoughts though.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

Wow! 10 months! That's awesome!
Old 10-17-2011, 07:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

oops - sorry if I misunderstood Tendencies.
Glad to hear you're still going strong

D
Old 10-17-2011, 09:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

well maybe you can sit down, have a chat and let him know you think he has a problem and offer him guidance. If he is all the way full blown alcoholic he may need help. I was this human trash not long ago and I am grateful I am recovering. Offer a helping hand to him maybe a good idea and change his life to the better...... Always remembe your roots
Old 10-18-2011, 03:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tendencies View Post
Hey 329 days sober. I've not checked on that number in a long time. I used to post quite a bit at the start. Not so much now. Feel pretty strong. Not thinking of drinking too much. I've become the guy that does not drink. When my office goes out for beers its' pretty funny. They sit and have 2-3 beers and get tipsy. Jeeze that would just be the start for me. I'd have to drink have a bottle of scotch to really get my party on.....

Enough on that. I have a story to tell:

I was in the Maritimes (Nova Scotia) on business last week. A conference. Lots of social drinking etc. I stuck with coffee of course. People ask me to have a drink to talk over business. I have to say I'm on the wagon. It's akward. Not hard. Just Akward.

This guy I knew form college was there. I emailed him before and told him I was not drinking. We went out a couple of nights after the conference. We went to this bar where they make "Supposedly" the best white Russian on the planet. He insists I have a sip. I don't. What an arse. The next night the same. Even more pushy. We're at this great Irish pub with great music eating. I'm having coffee and loving the music and atmosphere. He's pounding double scotches. I have no interest in drinking. None at all. Yet he tells me that I"m not having fun and I should have a drink. I tell him I'm having a great time. He's the one whose got the problem and I"m right.

What an arse. I had to tell him if he keeps it up I will leave. He finally simmers down. While he drinks he admits some pretty serious metal defects he has. Serious stuff I mean. Stuff that he thinks about that could get him locked up if he acted on. I'm shocked. Disgusted. Why is he telling me this stuff? He's a guy I've not seen in years. He also admits to helping some guy with his grow up on the side. Like CMON! Give me brake. I don't want to know this stuff. And I know he's serious.

Anyway. I think he's disgusting. I can't see him saying any of that stuff unless he was drinking. What is it about booze that just makes some people get verbal diarrhea?

I don't have a question. Were these the types of people I was hanging out with? What absolute human trash.
I think I am getting what you are saying. Some deep seeded things come out when we are drunk. We are huge liars but a lot of time our honest self comes out. I would have walked out.