Notices

Newbie here...day 1

Old 10-16-2011, 01:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newbie here...day 1

Hi there. I have visited this sight often over the past couple of weeks. I want to quit drinking because I think it has taken over my life. I am not an every day drinker, but I think about drinking everyday. I typically drink 3-4 days a week. I have gained about 70 lbs in the past several years and just feel miserable. I tried quitting a couPle of weeks ago and only lasted 3 days. Day 4 is awful for me. I have a few friends but because I've gained so much weight, I don't have the desire to go out and do anything. So then I get lonely and depressed and drink. It is a horrible cycle. I have a 13 year old and I am not being all I can be as a parent and that sickens me. How I got to this place in my life is beyond me, I just know that I want to change it. I think the drinking is the underlying cause to a lot of my issues. I hope I can do this..I wish I could feel more confidence in myself but I just don't right now.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Hope and welcome. You'll find lots of support here on SR, and it's a big first step that you've reached out for help.

Your confidence will increase as you stay sober, I believe, but that may take time.

Are you doing anything to help you stay sober besides not drinking? Reading anything? Speaking to friends? Attending meetings? Sobriety takes work but it's worth it.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Joining this website and making the decision to stop is all I am doing at this point. I don't really have anyone to talk to about it. I'm closest with my brother, but he is an alcoholic and has no desire to stop drinking so I don't feel he would be much support. Sadly, I don't really have any close friends which is probably another reason I drink. I'm a mess. I am sitting here crying as I post this but it's almost a huge sigh of relief as I'm telling someone other than myself that I want to change things. Thank you for listening.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Best After Date:June 12, 2011

Congrats on day 1. You can't get past day 4 unless you keep trying day 1. To be honest, day 4 was my worst day. It's still a struggle at times, but it gets easier. I went to my first party last weekend where there was alcohol around, and guess what, I had fun and didn't drink. I never thought that could happen. Things do get better. It may not be after day 4 for you, no one can say. But it does get better. And all we can promise is that continuing drinking NEVER gets better. I gained 50 lbs during my last heaviest drinking years. At 4 months sober I've lost 25 of that. It feels great. Exercise really helps mentally and physically.
One thing I did start noticing by day 4 is I had clear eyes and lost a lot of bloating in my face which in itself made me feel great. Not to mention being hangoverless.
Hang in there!
Old 10-16-2011, 01:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks ... I am definitely bloated. I'm just not the same person I used to be and I can't quite pinpoint when my drinking became more important than living a healthy life. I look tired, feel tired and look forward to better days. Exercise is important I know....maybe after I make it past day 4 I'll start thinking about that. Thanks for the kind words...it really helps to talk about it and read others that have had similar struggles but ultimate success.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the site. You'll find a lot of support here along with useful information. We are here to help you on your sober journey.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Day 4 was a killer for me, too. Just concentrate on one day at a time. Wish I had some sage advice, my best is try AA meetings. You'll be accepted unconditionaly.

Best to you, and keep posting!
Old 10-16-2011, 02:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Way to go! Stay strong!

You picked a perfect day to start. It helped me to drink lots of fluids, 100% pure fruit juices and vegetable juices. I also added a little lemon juice to my water that I drink mass quantities of. Spend some time reading through a bunch of posts here, we all know how tough it is and all hope to stay clean and sober!
Old 10-16-2011, 02:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Hope

Read around and post as much as you like - the support and hope I found here really helped me work out what I needed to do

D
Old 10-16-2011, 03:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Hope!

You're not alone...we're all here to support you. You've made a great choice in reaching out and saying "you want a better life". Big Hug
Old 10-16-2011, 03:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Hope. You will find many kind people and lots of support on SR.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome Hope! You'll find lots of support here. Keep posting and try and make a plan for yourself. Set yourself up for success. You can do this and reclaim your life.

Best Wishes To You!
Old 10-16-2011, 04:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I'm all over the place emotionally today...one minute I feel real Positive and the next I just want to bury myself under the covers. I hate the up and down crap. My daughter comes home in a bit from being at her dads house his weekend. I have so much to do and don't feel like doing any of it. I hate feeling depressed and I can only hope this gets better with time. Thanks everyone for your support...I am forcing myself to get up and shower now..ill post again tomorrow.
Old 10-16-2011, 05:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Hope - I'm so glad you found SR. Your feelings are perfectly normal - I felt that way in the beginning, too.

I can relate to what you said about drinking taking over your life. I don't know when it happened to me, either. Somewhere along the way I became obsessed with it & lost sight of all the things I wanted to achieve. You're doing a great thing by examining your drinking habits & kicking the stuff out of your life. Please post any time you feel anxious - we all understand exactly how you feel.