Notices

I never really thought..

Old 10-15-2011, 12:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I never really thought..

i have been smoking herb since 1994 everyday, through High School, College and now through running multiple businesses and having a family. I really never thought that i would be having such a problem walking away from it. I stopped smoking on 10/10/2011 and havent had a single rip since.
here is the problem,
I am turning into a monster. Ive spent this entire last week treating everyone that i love horribly. I have yelled at my wife, yelled at the kids, screamed at an employee and frankly im tired of it. Now granted, my wife knows that im quitting smoking reefer but that doesnt make the way she looks at me after i scream at her any easier to take, nor does it make her feel any better when i say," it will only be a few more days and ill be back to myself again."
My poor little ones, i never raise my voice with them, and my daughter cried when i looked at her this morning.
I need help really badly, i know this is just the addiction passing but if i dont get past this i feel like im going to lose it.
Can anyone suggest anything to help? also i havent slept more than 3-4 hours a night, any suggestions for sleep? my mind just races all night long.
The good thing is that i KNOW that i cannot keep smoking and im committed to making this the only time i struggle with this, ive no desire to smoke or get high at all. I just want ME back, and i know my family wants that too..
thank you all for allowing me to be a part of this communtiy.
L
Old 10-15-2011, 12:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I used to smoke a lot of strong weed but I quit it a couple of years back. Then I got a problem with alcohol and that's why I'm on this forum. But in terms of both drugs and the "negative" impact of going sober, let me share with you something my sponsor said to me the other day. You can come back from the emotional stuff but it's much harder to come back from the other consequences - eg being arrested, losing your job, losing your wife and kids etc etc. It seems to me that a certain amount of emotional turmoil, even if it involves conflict with other people, is a more desirable situation than being slammed in a police cell on possession charges.
Old 10-15-2011, 12:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Irritability is common with detox from most all drugs. I hope things improve for you.
Old 10-15-2011, 01:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Z,
i guess its also so darn frustrating because i feel myself going past the point of rationality. in my head i know should stop talking/arguing/yelling but i just keep going. When im stoned the silly things that are driving me crazy dont bother me. Life was always just "No Worries". I dont feel like myself to the 10th degree, and i know that i need to give myself a little room for error but its just so hard. I have met every challenge life has thrown at me and succeeded, this is shaking my confidence though.
I used to say," I love smoking weed more than anything in the world.", what a foolish thing to think..
Old 10-15-2011, 01:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Lost, are you eating properly? Hydrating properly? Taking vitamins and getting exercise?

I don't know much about pot detox, but what you're going through is physiological. Taking the time to treat your body well will undoubtedly help you pass through the irritability.
Old 10-15-2011, 01:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It sounds like you have made a good start, the lack of sleep does not help with irritability and can make everything seem worse.

I find breathing techniques can help when trying to get to sleep.. If you breathe in and count to seven and breathe out counting as long as you can it can help to relax and calm you. Usually half a dozen of these make me feel a bit better. Figured it might be worth a shot for you, good luck.
Old 10-15-2011, 01:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's normal to be irritable in early recovery and to go through a myriad of emotions. The thing to remember is that we have to learn how to live our lives without benefit of drugs and alcohol and it's a difficult process at times. Be patient with yourself.
Old 10-15-2011, 02:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome, welcome, welcome. My experience with your conundrum was solved via AA.

Here is where you will find my pals in Austin, if you are done for good these are the cats to see:

Mondays @ 6:00 p.m.
Carry This Message
7517 Cameron Road Ste. 130
Austin, TX 78752

Club 101
Contact Greg R. (214)460-2650

OR

Freedom in the Solution 510 Luther Dr Georgetown, TX
Saturdays @ 7:00 p.m.
contact Nathan M. 214.709.1499
(It just so happens you have time to make this one tonight.)
Old 10-15-2011, 02:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

thanks to all for the kind words and support.
I will certainly try the breathing techniques you spoke of. I do eat right and i actually just got back from a run. Ive lost almost 60 lbs over the last 14 months and excersize regularly, acutally increasing length of workouts this week in hopes that it would help to accelerate the exhaustion i hope will lend itself to sleep.
Thanks you so much for the direction and who to speak to here locally, i will give your friends a call. Can i just show up to one of the meetings?
L
Old 10-15-2011, 05:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome LIT

I agree that irritability is common for most of us, regardless of our drug of choice.

I smoked pot daily for 20 years. It was tough to give up, mentally, but it was not not insurmountable

Once I realised that it was part of the withdrawal process, I found it easier to deal with and I stopped snapping at my loved ones quite so much - I started focusing on the good stuff in my life

There's another 12 step programme called Marijuana Anonymous, although I have no direct knowledge of it.

Here's a link for you to check out:
Marijuana Anonymous World Services

D
Old 10-15-2011, 05:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes, just show up, they would be delighted to have you.

Originally Posted by LostInTransit View Post
thanks to all for the kind words and support.
I will certainly try the breathing techniques you spoke of. I do eat right and i actually just got back from a run. Ive lost almost 60 lbs over the last 14 months and excersize regularly, acutally increasing length of workouts this week in hopes that it would help to accelerate the exhaustion i hope will lend itself to sleep.
Thanks you so much for the direction and who to speak to here locally, i will give your friends a call. Can i just show up to one of the meetings?
L
Old 10-15-2011, 06:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~sb

What goes up must come down, then it evens out. Give yourself more time. I smoked & drank, if I hit it, I had to have my beer & vice versa.or however it's spelt. AA might work, NA might work, MA should work. You need to be willing to work the program. Give yourself at least 10 more days. You've taught your neurons & synapses how to process abnormally, your body must heal.

Eat ice cream, it's a comfort food.

Best wishes! Also do more internet research or aa online chatroom.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

Facilitators, delete if inappropriate.

Marijuana Anonymous World Services