Notices

Been struggling for 8 months. Starting over for the 6th time

Old 10-15-2011, 09:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Been struggling for 8 months. Starting over for the 6th time

I've been drinking heavily for the past 10+ years. Since February i've been trying to quit. Twice i had HORRIBLE withdrawals, this is one of those times. I'm on day 3 and it's better than yesterday. In the past 8 months i had great stretches of sobriety, but always became to complacent with my routine. Eventually there would be a reason to go out, even if i promised myself not a drop. Just like always, i'd allow myself "one", and "one" would turn into a lot more. While going through my withdrawals i did some googling and came across a few sites. That's where I am at the moment.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you for coming to a realization that alcohol may not be something in your life anymore, but of course I have a few questions for you. Did you just stop drinking and keep on with your life as if everything was the minus the drinking, or as most call it white knuckling it? Or possibly did you just submerge yourself into some other hobby or your job to try and "forget" that you have a drinking issue? I only ask because I saw that you didn't mention any type of support. something that will absolutely help you in recovery is finding the sopport you need and admitting you have a problem and accepting that you are wired as an alcoholic. There is amazing support here and many other types that I'm sure more people will give their two cents on shortly. Just remember, if you were alergic to strawberries...would just one hurt you..um...yes! Just one drink always leads to more drinks if you are wired as an alcoholic. I hope you find what you are looking for here and get the support you need!
Old 10-15-2011, 09:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You'll find a lot of support and useful information here. I tried and failed too many times to count, but with the support of the good people here and my addiction counselor I didn't give up. And now I'm coming up on two years sober! If I can do it, so can you.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've been to about 6 AA meetings, First Step, tried books and cleansing, now i have a meeting with a one on one substance counselor this Thursday. Like i mentioned i made it descent amounts of time with certain support and techniques, but i want to go much farther beyond that this time.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hobbies definitely helped a lot, but once i allowed myself to partake in old "hobbies", and tried white knuckling or being a dry drunk for a day, i collapsed.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

Best wishes!
Old 10-15-2011, 11:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you.
Old 10-15-2011, 01:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Hi again,

It was nice to meet you in chat. Keep comin back
Old 10-15-2011, 02:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
instant

Khan
That's the cycle. Going back to it when you feel well and have "forgotten" and you think up a number of reasons to drink (which emphasis only the good aspects). Keep learning and trying you will get better at it.
Old 10-15-2011, 02:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Did you work the steps in those 6 meetings?
Old 10-15-2011, 04:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

It took me a long time to 'get it'. I really had to understand in my heart that I would NEVER be happy drinking moderately. I mean really I can't drink in moderation (your 'just one') but even if I could? I wouldn't want to! After 1 or 2 I want 6 more. Always. None is a lot more satisfying than 2.

Welcome and hope you stick around.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Khan

I recommend you see a Dr if your withdrawals are particularly bad.

For me, the key to lasting sobriety was looking at my life beyond just not drinking - I had to do that because my entire life revolved around drinking....if I made no changes, sooner or later I'd find myself in the same old situations and make the same old choices.

Maybe it's time to think about getting more support - whatever that may be - and to look at changing some of the places you go, and maybe even the folks you hang around with...?

I lost a lot of drinking buddies when I quit but I gained (and regained) a lot of people into my life

D
Old 10-15-2011, 04:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Khan!

Glad you found us and decided to join. Sounds like you're doing some really good things to help your recovery.

The urges to drink can be strong at first, but I found that the longer I stayed sober the easier it was to deal with them. It will get better. Be good to yourself and take it one day at a time......
Old 10-15-2011, 04:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Keep On Keeping On

Welcome!

I am meeting 1 on 1 with a counselor once a week and meeting with group 4 days a week as well in out patient treatment and it's nice to be able to talk with others and just learn from one another.

Good luck with your journey
Old 10-15-2011, 06:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome, Khan! Your story sounds so familiar. Even if I started out thinking I want just 1, the number steadily increased all night so that the number was always out of reach. For each time you quit, what made you start again? I mean what reeeally made you start again, not just becoming complacent? Just something to think about. Something needs to be different this time around to get it to stick. Hope it works out this time.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome Khan

My withdrawls were HORRIBLE too...I remember them vividly and I hope I ALWAYS do because it's a deterrent that works very well for me. Just one drink will eventually lead you back to that vicous cycle of hell. You're on day 3...keep going my friend.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:20 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community....

Many of us here are winning over alcohol...Yes you can too..
Please keep posting....we are here to support you.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:29 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
One moment at a time.

Hey khan welcome, and thanks for your post... I've been dealing with the same issues as you basically.. I've been in the program of AA for about 2 years, and had to "start over" a few too many times... Heck I'm starting over right now, I've only got a couple weeks of sobriety under my belt...

All you can do is keep coming back.. I did, and I am grateful for it.

Again welcome and good luck!
Old 10-15-2011, 09:47 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I just read all of your replies. Thanks for your time and comments. I work weekends at night, so i was gone all day. I start a four day golf get away with family (who know my most of my situation), and the day i get back i will start one on one counseling. I hope to go to at least a few of those session, then more of a group setting. The times when i would get to week 3 or 4 in my sobriety, my emotions would become overwhelming. I hope a one on one situation for the first month or few will help that aspect. Luckily, i had no urge at all today, and the withdrawal has gotten better. Just a dull, constant headache and tired.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:59 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Omegasupreme i did not work through the steps. I would do ready and make daily changes. I got the books: alcoholics anonymous, the easy way to stop drinking, the vitamin cure for alcoholism, and twelve steps and twelve traditions. I talk face to face with groups of people daily, but i had a hard time sharing, and being completely open at the AA meetings. I feel like i will be more open in one on one counseling, and plan on being fully open to the counselors' recommendations.