Notices

Addiction Can Make You Stronger!

Old 10-15-2011, 03:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Addiction Can Make You Stronger!

If you can face it & beat it. Thought that Wayne Dyer said this quite eloquently after hearing about his leukemia recently. May he come through it ok.

"I have come to this place where I'm aware of what is possible for me that I never thought of before. When I had the diagnosis of leukemia, the first 30 minutes after I found out was kind of a denial. I thought, "I eat the right foods, I don't do drugs, I exercise, I meditate." And then something astonishing happened to me--I began to realize that everything in my life that has happened--growing up in an orphanage, addictions, a heart attack--every one of them made me a stronger person. I realized that the storms of our lives leave beauty in the carvings." - Dr. Wayne Dyer, LIVE at ICDI Pasadena

Old 10-15-2011, 05:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger" *

* DISCLAIMER - Usually it just kills us.

Old 10-15-2011, 02:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

it is funny that most of the times looking back it all worked out somehow and it is okay.
Old 10-15-2011, 02:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm so tired of hearing this crap about What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger. I am a walking mess. The only strength I have is in everyday life when I don't let my guard down. The truth is? From my perspective? What doesn't kill you leaves you less likely to hope and dream... which makes you stronger because you lose the delusion that everything will get better.

Everything does not get better if the things that got you to the bottom were bad enough.

I'm strong. Lots of people tell me I am the strongest person they know. You know why? Because I have lived through hell. I may be strong to the public but... I will never get better. Even sober. There is no fixing the after affects of this.

With that being said, sober desperation is better than drunk desperation. I still choose sober.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I thought much the same way as you did LSNP - even for a good while after I got sober.

But things do get better...not overnight maybe, but they do get better. Noone would be here if they didn't

Gradually as my life changed, I did too - I reconnected with the genuine me I'd lost through years of drinking - younger in spirit, less damaged, less cynical...

The more I stayed sober and built a new life, I discovered a lot of what I thought for years was me was actually a me warped by addiction.

I hope, in time, you'll make a similar discovery

D
Old 10-15-2011, 05:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by LSNP View Post
I'm so tired of hearing this crap about What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger. I am a walking mess. The only strength I have is in everyday life when I don't let my guard down. The truth is? From my perspective? What doesn't kill you leaves you less likely to hope and dream... which makes you stronger because you lose the delusion that everything will get better.
It has been my "experience" that the right perspective makes a huge difference when walking through fear, adversity and failure. Looking at it from the perspective of a victim never helped me, it only made it worse. Looking at it from the perspective of a student or voluntary test pilot allowed me to grow as a result of the struggle. Kind of like how a butterfly will die if it does not struggle when breaking out of it's cocoon.

That's why I believe the old cliche "Victims don't stay sober".
Old 10-15-2011, 05:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

From a song: "What doesn't kill you makes you linger".

But like Boleo said it's all in the attitude.

I firmly believe that things happen for a reason. When I'm in a bad place I try to think: "OK, in one week will this still be upsetting me?" if yes then "In one month? 3 months? A year? 10 years? When I'm on my death bed?" Eventually there's a time frame for everything when troubles stop mattering. But that doesn't mean you ignore them and wait for time of course, you have to help yourself.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Thanks for sharing that, NewBeginning - I hadn't realized that Wayne Dyer has luekemia (my father has it too, but an extremely rare form of it). His books always turn me around when I'm in a negative place......I love collecting quotes that inspire me, and that's a good one. Here's a couple back at ya:

"The state of your life is nothing more than a reflection of your state of mind." Dr. Wayne W. Dyer

"Even the most daring and accomplished people have undergone tremendous difficulty. In fact, the more successful they became, the more they attributed their success to the lessons learned during their most difficult times. Adversity is our teacher. When we view adversity as a guide towards greater inner growth, we will then learn to accept the wisdom our soul came into this life to learn."
~Barbara Rose~
Old 10-15-2011, 07:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NewBeginning010 View Post
If you can face it & beat it. Thought that Wayne Dyer said this quite eloquently after hearing about his leukemia recently. May he come through it ok.

"I have come to this place where I'm aware of what is possible for me that I never thought of before. When I had the diagnosis of leukemia, the first 30 minutes after I found out was kind of a denial. I thought, "I eat the right foods, I don't do drugs, I exercise, I meditate." And then something astonishing happened to me--I began to realize that everything in my life that has happened--growing up in an orphanage, addictions, a heart attack--every one of them made me a stronger person. I realized that the storms of our lives leave beauty in the carvings." - Dr. Wayne Dyer, LIVE at ICDI Pasadena

That was nice. Something to really think about. Thank you for sharing.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My addiction made me stronger when I quit doing it.