Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

October 15 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON

Old 10-14-2011, 11:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Present

October 15 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

The new member of a group is understandably upset, distraught and perhaps even desperate. Just as ours did in the beginning, her trials seem too great for a human being to endure. She is not yet aware that she may be making it worse by complaining, weeping and trying to outwit the alcoholic. All these things we learn not to do after we’ve been in Al-Anon for a time. Her recital may even be distorted by hysteria – this is natural, too.

All this should warn us not to make sweeping judgment on anyone else’s problem or suggest making any decisions for her. We must help her become able to make them for herself.

TODAY’S REMINDER

No matter how unbearable a person’s situation appears, I know I am not capable of judging it since I can’t possibly know all the factors involved. Nor can I measure another’s emotional pain by my own experience and feelings. But I can offer comfort and hope, and the healing therapy of the Al-Anon program.

Our Eighth Tradition says, “Al-Anon Twelfth Step work should remain forever non-professional.”
Old 10-14-2011, 11:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Present

(it really does say "Twelfth Step")