Notices

Friday & day 4

Old 10-14-2011, 08:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Friday & day 4

Well its finally my dreaded Friday and so feel okay. Planning things to do tonight to keep me from wanting to drink. Trying to think of something good to eat for supper, so I can have something special to look forward to. Would like to think of something that would be healthier than the junk food I ate while drinking.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

I wish you a wonderful Friday!
Old 10-14-2011, 09:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Heathen

The thing about Fridays (and by the number of posts, seems to be a big trigger for early recovery!), is they happen every week. There's no escaping them! I think it's good to think of new 'treats' for the weekends. I remember my first few sober weekends were bizzare (no idea why, since I drank just as much during the week most nights!), waking up before 9am, sipping coffee.. going for walks.. weirded me out a little bit, but I really grew used to feeling GREAT all the time, and I'm still gracious about how wonderful my downtime is now that I'm sober, and not drinking or sleeping it all away.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I remember my first Friday night and it was a lot like the way smacked described it. I kept things simple and spent the evening propped up in bed with my laptop (just reading the posts here), had some great carryout food, and watched TV. It felt so good to wake up Saturday morning and know that I got over a major hurdle.

It really does get easier, but in the beginning it can feel like a real battle of thoughts and emotions. I didn't have any extra energy to deal with other things (people especially), so I allowed myself lots of space..... I took the pressure off to do anything but stay sober. It worked really well for me. Others find it easier to stay sober by keeping busy. It's a matter of finding out what works for you.

You talked a lot in your posts about the link between intimacy and drinking. I understand that because I felt the same way when I was married. I think you need to take that pressure off yourself and explain to your husband that this is something you can't force yourself to do right now. You need to get to know your feelings again and just allow yourself to be who you are right now.

Stay in the now and remember we're always here!:ghug3
Old 10-14-2011, 10:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Give yourself a chance! I've found that sober weekends are THE BEST
Old 10-14-2011, 10:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

sober weekends

I know sober weekend will be better. Even thou I drank almost everyday Fridays meant that I didn't have to try to limit my drinking or worry about making it to work the next day for the last 19 years. I keep thinking about how good I will feel on Monday to have this first weekend behind me. And will have more confidence about making this work. It will feel good not to have to plan all my activities or lack of around drinking. I appreciate all the support.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I know what you mean HK. That's why I'm about to drive for 3.5 hours to visit a couple friends back in my hometown. The main goal for me is to stay distracted. If I chanced being alone tonight and tomorrow night, it would be nothing short of hell given that it's my first weekend off the booze. I might even do the same thing next weekend depending on how I feel. Anyway, I wish you luck. Stay distracted! =)
Old 10-14-2011, 10:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
cb1

Hello HK....I am starting my first sober weekend too. Splurge on that juckfood! I plan on getting pizza for dinner, rent a movie, and was clothes. We can do this!!!
Old 10-14-2011, 10:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

plans

I am going to get something good for supper, no snack mix for a meal. Maybe just hang out with my horses for awhile. Load some stuff in my pickup that I want to take to town sine I'm going to town for AA meeting. Then probably spend rest of evening on here.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm right here with all of you - day 4 and facing a Friday night without booze. I have bought sushi for dinner, and we are going away this weekend so that will be a lot easier than staying home (party tomorrow at a tee-totaller's - drive back Sunday). But I still feel very bereft. We can do this.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Seems like ages since I viewed Friday as a trigger day....I mean any day was a day to drink and at anytime during a binge. Working day 7 of the latest set of better non drinking days and the worst of the initial withdrawal done with limited medication.

I work from home so I never get the trap of the coworker gang going for drinks ...heck I was usually first one ready when I did work in the office and of course stayed the longest.....missed that red light in those days *chuckle*

My plan is rest , relax , eat properly , read a bit , and deal with any craving. I really have not had a craving at all this week but that is typical for my own "end of binge". I just stop and it does not crawl on me for a while but comes back as it can , the cunning and baffling fingers will come again but with counseling and group support the fingers may just get chopped off before they get me back on the drink