Notices

It crept in

Old 10-14-2011, 08:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It crept in

I'm pretty sure that all the good feelings that came along with being sober are real. My desire to drink is also very real. I'm not sure what's going on. I just feel like giving up. I'm not even upset about anything particular; just seriously meloncholy. Is the 3 month marker some kind of weird opportunity to test my convictions?

I forced myself to do yoga this morning. I struggled through every moment of it. Oh dear god what the hell is happening??? I want my good feelings back.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Hang in-sober. Thoughts come & go as does meloncholy....it gets better. We're self indulgent spoiled brats-fight the urge. Our disease wants us dead.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Some days I have to force myself to get off the couch. I too thought I would be much happier after 3 months. I have to remind myself that this life I am living now is sure a lot better then the shame and guilt I was living before. They say it gets better. Hang in there
Old 10-14-2011, 09:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Just know that it gets better. 3 months is great progress! Just remember, if we didn't have sad or melancholy moments, how would we ever appreciate the joyous and happy times? Hang in there!
Old 10-14-2011, 09:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The most difficult part of sobriety is feeling normal human emotions and facing them head on. For me this obviously resonates with the "life on life's terms" saying. I know for myself when I had emotions come at me that I did not like I numbed them with alcohol and then they were compounded and I woke up in a worse situation than I was in before. I love to do yoga, so that is great that you are doing that!! I know sometimes it may not be as serene as others, but one thing I am working on is that perfection is not always going to happen. I hope that you get through your day in a good state of mind and have an amazing weekend....good luck!
Old 10-14-2011, 10:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
It is ironic, but contrary to conventional wisdom, most people go back to drinking not when things get bad, but when things get normal. That said, welcome to normalcy. If you don't drink, you'll get used to it soon enough, though. Remember, tough times don't last, tough people do.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Three months is awesome! I felt a "little weird" around that time as well, but it really does get better the longer you stay committed to the sober life
Old 10-14-2011, 03:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Stick with your sobriety, Symmatry. No one ever regrets not drinking. Things will get better!
Old 10-14-2011, 03:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I think it helpful to make Gratitude Lists...

Yes...we do have a specific forum dedicated to that idea.
Come join the Grats Pack anytime you wish...all are welcomed.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, it might be a part of the recovery story that you are feeling down right now. One thing I would sayis, you might consider talking to your dr if the depression continues.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Carol makes a very good point. It was around three months sober that I started practicing gratitude on a daily basis. It sure made a difference for me. I went from being stubbornly sober to being happily sober. I now am thankful for so many things, not least of which is my sobriety. And I give my first gratitude upon waking up sober and happy each morning. What a difference it's made in my attitude and my whole life.

Seeing a qualified doctor if the depression continues is also a very good idea.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Terminally Unique View Post
It is ironic, but contrary to conventional wisdom, most people go back to drinking not when things get bad, but when things get normal. That said, welcome to normalcy. If you don't drink, you'll get used to it soon enough, though. Remember, tough times don't last, tough people do.
The minute I read this I could not deny my toughness
Old 10-15-2011, 06:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Yes, it might be a part of the recovery story that you are feeling down right now. One thing I would sayis, you might consider talking to your dr if the depression continues.
I felt it was important to share where my mind is at 3 months in to this. This is the first time I've experienced this feeling since becoming sober and am sure that others relate. I am going to wind my through and come out with a deeper resolve to be sure. I hope others will feel inspired to do the same.

I've seen so many give up or seem to have a much harder time than what I can relate to. I was beginning to feel that it's either hard to quit or super easy and how lucky I am to fit in on the easy. I had lost touch with "the struggle" and felt so sorry for those who were struggling. I just honestly thought I would never have this feeling again. But it crept in. I am not going to drink. This is just part of "my story".
Old 10-15-2011, 06:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
I think it helpful to make Gratitude Lists...

Yes...we do have a specific forum dedicated to that idea.
Come join the Grats Pack anytime you wish...all are welcomed.
I am grateful to have woke up sober! I had considered having a glass of wine last night. But didn't and am so grateful.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:09 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Hang in-sober. Thoughts come & go as does meloncholy....it gets better. We're self indulgent spoiled brats-fight the urge. Our disease wants us dead.
Thanks Sugarbear. I totally hear ya and don't wanna give in to my spoiled brat. I gotta tell ya though, I don't think I'm dealing with a spoiled brat. I think its someone a little more stealth and manipulative. I think I need to figure out what she needs before she strarts acting up and its not gonna be alcohol!
Old 10-15-2011, 06:10 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by eJoshua View Post
Stick with your sobriety, Symmatry. No one ever regrets not drinking. Things will get better!
So very true. I have no regrets this morning. none. I believe things will get better. They certainly will not if I drink.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:14 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberred View Post
Some days I have to force myself to get off the couch. I too thought I would be much happier after 3 months. I have to remind myself that this life I am living now is sure a lot better then the shame and guilt I was living before. They say it gets better. Hang in there
I'm gonna hang in there without a doubt. Thank you.

This is just making me stronger. I feel better already. And totally! Anything is better than the guilt and shame I was feeling before. The minute I choose to drink is the minute I choose to feel like a hopeless alcoholic. No thanks
Old 10-15-2011, 06:47 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Symmetry - It was great to read through this entire thread this morning! You sound totally different this morning and I learned a lot. Thanks for having the courage to come on and talk about the negative creeping in and how you're kicking it to the curb!! Have a great, sober Saturday!
Old 10-15-2011, 06:52 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

I have definitely been in slumps. I think it's regular life. I've learned to relax the a bit and go "oh - a crappy day. hope this is over soon". Everything was kind of apocalyptic to me as a drinker. "I AM HAVING A BAD DAY! BENDERRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!". Now it's more like - whatever.

Have a great day Eat well, get some exercise, watch a good movie, get an early night.