Notices

Not feeling as productive as I thought I would.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not feeling as productive as I thought I would.

I am still newly sober (31 days to be exact) but I battling with the thoughts that I am not being as productive as I thought I would be at this point. I don't have a desire to drink but I feel as if I am being just as productive as I was when drinking.

In all reality, I am not really doing ****. I have so many goals but things are just moving in slow motion as if nothing is happening....and there really isn't much I could be doing to move towards them at this point I suppose. Or maybe I am perceiving it that way because I have a lot more free time and life seems to move more slowly.

Anyone else feel this way? So confused..
Old 10-12-2011, 11:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Christie

I drank for 20 years - it took me a little longer than 30 days to get over that

Mind and body take time to heal - sometimes I found I simply couldn't be as productive as I wanted to be either.

Things did right themselves for me tho - stick with it

D
Old 10-12-2011, 11:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I went thought that for a time. I have almost ten months now, and it seems like a month of sobriety was so long ago. When I first got sober, I had a hard time doing anything. Sometimes, I just wanted to stay in bed all day, watch movies, and eat ice cream. But, the longer I stayed sober, the more those feelings went away and I got productive and excited about life again. Sometimes in early sobriety you just go through some slumps. I just kept putting one foot in front of the other and taking it day by day. I know that isn't what you might want to hear. It sure wasn't what I wanted to hear. But, if you just keep taking things day by day, and keep going to meetings, things will get better.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad you are in early sobriety...
Please be gentle with yourself...it took me about 2 months to settle in menntally and physically.

Welcome to our recovery community.....
Old 10-13-2011, 04:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by ChristiePoe View Post
... Or maybe I am perceiving it that way because I have a lot more free time and life seems to move more slowly.
One of the challenges of recovery is learning how to handle free time. In my case, I learned how to meditate and turned out to be a life-saver.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You are in early sobriety. How long were you drinking? I bet it was longer than 30 days. Recovery and learning a new way to live takes time.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

I had that concern as well in the first month, and its getting better each day. I have to admit though that it scared me for a while.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

Be happy you're sober! 31 days is amazing. Write a list of what you need to do and another for fun or what you want to do. Slowly build a new routine. One task at a time. Give time time!
Old 10-13-2011, 07:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great job on 31 days ChristiePoe!! CarolD is right, we need to be gentle with ourselves right now. I'm feeling the same way, at first I didn't know what to do with all my extra energy and I was cleaning like crazy, now at just shy of two months sober my house looks pretty much the same as it did when I was drinking. But I did register for a night class, some nights I have to drag myself there, but I'm always happy I go. I feel like there's all this stuff I want to do, but I still don't have the energy or motivation to actually DO it. Sounds like this is normal from the replies to your thread and it sounds like if we hang in there, we'll get our energy back! Keep up your great work!