Notices

Keeping busy So much time to kill

Old 10-12-2011, 07:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Keeping busy So much time to kill

Today is my lucky 13 days clean and sober! It's amazing how much spare time I have now without slamming a few screwdrivers for breakfast. Seems like the days just flew by when I was buzzed. Now a day lasts a long time, lots of time to think, lots of time to read, lots of time to do all kinds of stuff I haven't done in a long time.

Kind of bittersweet but I still feel good, although I have noticed myself trying to justify drinking again. I really don't want to and I'm not going to. But a part of me thinks, "I don't feel THAT much better, why stay sober" or "Maybe after a few weeks I'll start drinking again" Weird stuff, because deep down inside, I am done drinking. I am not going to start again, it's really not all it's cracked up to be anyway. I like the fact that at any time day or night I can grab my keys and drive anywhere I want. I like that I can button my pants without mashing my bulging belly.

I'll keep plugging away day by day to keep the wine and spirits at bay :-)
Old 10-12-2011, 07:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
LIVING SOBER

I don't know if you've heard the acronym H.A.L.T.
Hungary , lonely , lonely , tired
Tried to avoid all of these if at all possible
I have read that on day number eight of sobriety you did some organizing .
For me organizing was very helpful
For three years everything got put on the back burner
Cleaning up the physical confusion and turmoil in my life seemed to let me concentrate on the emotional confusion and turmoil in my mind without getting sidetracked
Having an organized place to rest and contemplate my dilemma made the first several months much more serene than they had been when I was still drinking
Of course everything had to be done in moderation , and without any major decisions other than not to take that first drink
For me just emanating some of the confusion let me pay more attention at the meetings I attended
As time passed my internal clock returned to the pace that was more in tune with what I considered normal
Give it time
Look
Old 10-12-2011, 08:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Wyldwest:
Congrats on day13. I just finished day8. I've had a few day8's over the summer. This is the first time I am participating in SR. It helps. I encourage you to stay busy and plan. Today I mopped floors, cleaned rugs, painted my deck, worked in the garden, shopped in town, and wrote computer code for 3 hours. BUT, my downfall is often engaging in some domestic pursuit, and then feeling as if I deserve a break, i.e. a beer run. So, today I planned to go shopping early and avoid being sucked in by the vast beer cooler in the little town that I shop in. Worked well. I had no cravings then. As I finished up the deck and fleetingly thought of a brewski, I realized that I had outsmarted myself and took some real pride in that. Keep at it! Morning screwdrivers: NO; poached eggs: YES.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

Congrats on Day 13! It's great that you're able to recognize that voice in your head for what it is. As long as you don't give it any room to grow, it should get weaker and weaker over time. Just continue to stay focused on the positives of sobriety.

--Fenris.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

congrats on day 13.it will get better!!!!
Old 10-13-2011, 02:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I drank for 20 years...it was kind of a big ask to expect I'd feel enormously better after a couple of weeks - but I did....

It takes time for mind and body to heal...we all tended to beat ourselves up pretty good.
Stick with it WW

D