Notices

Help with changing routines?

Old 10-12-2011, 08:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help with changing routines?

Hi! I am new to sober recovery and didn't know how to post my own thread. I did have a question though.. I am 25 and my boyfriend and I live together and both like to drink.. And usually at home. ( we don't go out much ) .. We'll drink tuesdays, sat, sunday and we'll get a pint of vodka each on those days.. I also get some wine for me on Fridays after work when he isn't there. My question is, because we drink at home so much instead of going out, how can I stop or atleast cut down the drinking? It seems harder to do because if we just hang out at home one of us will recommend getting some vodka. We have a great relationship, it's not based around drinking, but since we've gotten into a routine with it, how do we change it?? Thanks
Old 10-12-2011, 02:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi ldp
I made you your own thread

Have you spoken to your bf about this?
is he quitting too or just you?

In a live in relationship where you both drink together, I think you need to be honest and tell him you want to at least change your drinking habits, if not stop altogether.

If he doesn't want to, or you both find it hard, there are lots of recovery groups around - lot of support here too

Welcome to SR
D
Old 10-12-2011, 03:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I drank at home too, after work in the evening.

What worked wonders for me was going out for a long walk after supper. It helped me on so many levels. I felt better physically, I often walked with my husband and we talked a lot, and my mental state improved as I started paying attention to the nature around me.