Notices

First Day Out of Detox...

Old 10-12-2011, 12:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First Day Out of Detox...

Hi all,

So I guess I should start with a little history. I started to read these threads almost a year ago when I started to realize I had a problem with alcohol. At 26 years old, it took a major health scare that landed me in the hospital for 3 days followed by detox for 4.

I made it to almost a month of sobriety and then decided that I didn't need the meetings any more-Cardinal and HUGE mistake.

I ended up on a full blown 4 day vodka binge and checked myself back into detox for fear of withdrawals and knew that if I didn't go back I would never stop drinking.

So I got out of detox at 10:30 this morning and I have to say I feel like crap. Is this normal? They only kept me in for about 48 hours...

Does any one have anything they want to share with me about how they felt right after detox? I'm going back to counseling Friday and and heading to my first AA meeting tonight.

Thanks!
Old 10-12-2011, 12:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Jess. I can tell you I felt horrible. I was thankful to have the junk out of my system, but other than that - very exhausted and shredded. That only lasted a day or two, though. Every day after that I grew stronger and had more energy, more hope. Be patient with yourself.

When I went into detox it was so it would look good in court because I had a DUI. My heart wasn't in it, and it wasn't rehab - just detox with no support or aftercare. It was really hard to face everything on my own - but I didn't know about SR back then. I think it'll help calm your anxiety to post here, like you just did. It's great you're going to a meeting. Eventually the fog will lift, and you'll have a fresh new start.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

I've gone through detox twice and the first time I felt f'in awful for about five days and then started getting a little better every day. The second time I was physically okay on the third day, but it still took a couple of weeks to feel good (energetic, refreshed, etc.). Like you, I stayed more or less sober after the first time through detox and inpatient treatment (15 days) for about five months until I made the brilliant decision to stop going to meetings and calling my sponsor. I also stopped coming to this site and reading my Big Book. Didn't take very long for me to crawl back into a bottle.

It's great that you recognized what was happening and went back to detox. I hope I learned from my mistake and that you did too. It's when things start going good that we really have to watch ourselves and make sure we do the things that got us back to a good place in life. Keep coming back and posting...it helps me to read and write on this site and maybe it'll help you do.

--Fenris.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks guy for such quick responses! I felt so anxious and miserable before I got onto this site and as soon as I started typing I felt a little better. I'm thankful that I have finally reached out and with support (which I didnt really seek before) I'm much more positive about being in recovery. It's just rough talking about all the things that drove me to the place I was in ya know? No one wants to talk about all the crap....Thanks again!
Old 10-12-2011, 01:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

Funny how that works...just the act of typing and putting some of the things that bother us into words for someone else to read relieves some of that pressure and weight. It is hard to do, but honestly, I've found that the harder it is to share something, the more helpful it is when you do. It also helps when I read a post that I can relate to -- I may be crazy, but at least I'm not the only one!

--Fenris.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR JessG

Never been to detox but I've felt pretty awful for up to a week after a binge before
I hope you feel better soon

D
Old 10-12-2011, 03:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JessG1208 View Post
Hi all,

So I guess I should start with a little history. I started to read these threads almost a year ago when I started to realize I had a problem with alcohol. At 26 years old, it took a major health scare that landed me in the hospital for 3 days followed by detox for 4.

I made it to almost a month of sobriety and then decided that I didn't need the meetings any more-Cardinal and HUGE mistake.

I ended up on a full blown 4 day vodka binge and checked myself back into detox for fear of withdrawals and knew that if I didn't go back I would never stop drinking.

So I got out of detox at 10:30 this morning and I have to say I feel like crap. Is this normal? They only kept me in for about 48 hours...

Does any one have anything they want to share with me about how they felt right after detox? I'm going back to counseling Friday and and heading to my first AA meeting tonight.

Thanks!
Hello! Reading your story it reminded me so much what happened to me. Im 26 myself and this past summer I was drinking my face off. I ended up in detox twice so far in my drinking career. I thought the 1st time would hvae smartened me up but it didn't. So the first time for me was really scary. I felt trapped and punished for doing something I knew I wasn't suppose to do and what makes things worse for it? It was my mothers 50th birthday and she and my father were away on vacation and she has never been on the Golden Gate Bridge and was enjoying her time there when I had to call and tell her the news about me going to detox. She cried alot on the phone because she was having fun and trusted me to stay sober while they went away. So I spent most of my time crying in bed and reading the big book. 2nd Time was even scarier because I drank for 4 days straight myself and had to check in because my heart was pounding too hard and I was throwing up every 2 minutes. Go figure Im a diabetic and not even suppose to drink either. Making things harder for me when I drank. But I felt a huge relief as I left that detox center to be honest.I just wanted out of there because I heard and saw so many "sick minded" men there that were proud to be there and getting free good food and a warm bed. This one guy on my last day there glorified that once he was getting out he was going to go by a 2 4 of beer and drink again! I was shocked. But it also showed me there are 2 sides of alcoholism. 1 where people want to recover and stop drinking and the other side where people will still drink as soon as they get out of detox no matter what. It's sad but reality. good luck in recovery! Many have said because Im so young its harder to stop drinking but I believe that isn't true because most of the time I drank. I was by myself no one ever pressured me into drinking. I believe I can stop drinking despite my age.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I know exactly what you mean about people being proud of their multiple stints in Detox. Some of the men were actually talking about how they couldnt wait to get out and get loaded or high or whatever. I actually got my wallet stolen from a "locked" closet! Who ever it was took my credit card to a liquor store and charged 100 something dollars on booze while I was in groups trying to recover! Very unnerving! I really am determind to get this right this time. I have too much too look forward to and too much of a great life to live! With that I'm heading to my first AA meeting-Very nervous but I HAVE to go, I'm not giving myself a choice not to. Thanks for posting
Old 10-12-2011, 07:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Glad you've joined us, Jess, and that you're getting sober again. Every time I tried to go back to drinking, I always ended up in the same miserable place. It's nice not to have to live like that anymore.

You can do it this time! I hope you start feeling better soon....
Old 10-12-2011, 08:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JessG1208 View Post
I know exactly what you mean about people being proud of their multiple stints in Detox. Some of the men were actually talking about how they couldnt wait to get out and get loaded or high or whatever. I actually got my wallet stolen from a "locked" closet! Who ever it was took my credit card to a liquor store and charged 100 something dollars on booze while I was in groups trying to recover!
That's crazy..... I remember people in detox talking about how awesome their meds were, comparing etc. One guy kept talking about how he was way more loaded than before he came in from the meds. Kinda sad. I have only been in one detox, and a rehab right after. But it really is only about how each person wants to get out of it. You can tell the people that aren't serious and the people that are.

Actually I went in to detox sober. Though I was still foggy. It was strange seeing people come in hammered. then 2-3 days later just be totally different once the fog lifted. The transformation sometimes is mind blowing.

Congrats on having a plan. Hope the meeting goes well!
Old 10-13-2011, 06:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The last time I had detox help it lasted about 48 hours. This is really just a medical detox. They have likely determined that it is ok for you to go home because your blood pressure, etc. is under control. This doesn't mean that you are going to feel good. Physically you probably feel like crap and mentally and emotionally you probably feel even worse.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks Zebra. That makes me feel a little better because I do still feel like crap. I am thankful that I can sleep without any sleep aids right now. I'm hoping that I'll feel less exhausted and irritable in the next week or couple weeks.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

Originally Posted by simplex View Post
It was strange seeing people come in hammered. then 2-3 days later just be totally different once the fog lifted. The transformation sometimes is mind blowing.
Yeah, that was something that amazed me too. My first detox, there was this one guy that came in just blasted out of his mind, roaring obnoxious drunk, yelling all kinds of crazy **** at three in the morning, trying to pick a fight with other patients, nursing staff, etc., etc.

Four days later, this guy is the most docile, thoughtful, soft-spoken person I think I've ever met. It really helped me learn how to look past the disease and see the person, which is a blessing that's come in handy a few times.

--Fenris.