Notices

Getting ready for my first meeting

Old 10-12-2011, 08:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Getting ready for my first meeting

The meeting starts in 30 minutes. I want to get there before my body recover fully from the drinking. That way I don't chicken out. I'm nervous and don't know what will happen but I will walk in and get a white chip and stay for the 50 minutes that an AA last. There is an SOS meeting tomorrow night which I will go to.

Going to try the 90 meetings in 90 days but 2 meetings a week will be at the SOS place because they only have 2 meetings a week in Atlanta. I know I'm not doing fully the AA way but I am an atheist and know if I don't do those 2 SOS meetings then I will back out of going to any meetings at all.

Wish me good luck!

Old 10-12-2011, 08:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

Whatever gets you through the doors sounds good to me. A lot of people (including me) seem to find that there was really nothing to be nervous about in the first place, that I've just built it up in my mind so much that it seems like it's going to be this huge dramatic ordeal, and it turns out to be nothing like what I'd imagined. Good luck and I think doing 90-in-90 is a great goal to have. Let us know how it went.

--Fenris.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well, I made it to the meeting and got a white chip. They made me talk first which was not what I wanted but I did for a few minutes. Still have to get over the prayer thing at the end. Will be going to an SOS meeting tomorrow and then an AA meeting on Friday.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You don't have to say the prayer at the end. The idea is fellowship. Enjoy being around G(roup)O(f Old)D(runks) that understand where you've been.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

Yeah, saying Our Father bothered me at first too, and I honestly don't know why a non-religious organization uses a Catholic prayer to close out its meetings, but it's tradition and it doesn't bother me enough to stay in my seat (which is an option for people who really don't feel comfortable saying it). It's not so overtly Christian that I can't find a way to mesh it into my spiritual ideals. :: shrug :: But like Toreinne said, you don't have to say it.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The Lords Prayer is a Christian Prayer, not restricted to the Catholic sect of Christianity, but your point is valid. I have been to meetings where the Lords Prayer isn't said at all. This is a Group Conscience issue. If you don't like the Lord's Prayer go to the next Group Conscience meeting and bring it up.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Not to start a Lord's Prayer debate, but I too am non-Christian. Jesus, the person who's teachings are the basis of that faith, offered that prayer as the proper way to pray. And while I think it's fair to assume that he was referring to HIS idea of a HP, if I get over any issues I have with the source, and think of the words and intention of the prayer, it helps me.

If one follows 12 step, and chooses to designate a HP, remember that can be ANY concept of HP, the prayer is still a pretty good one. Asking that our needs be met, that we be delivered from temptation, that we be forgiven and learn to forgive...I find it hard to argue those ideas. Just as the Serenity prayer, is a pretty darn good one. They do support the ideology of 12 step.

I know it is not just as we might choose it to be, but I am grateful for a simple program that will allow me to recover, my life, dignity, etc. Things occur and are said in meetings that are sometimes hard to hear, make me uncomfortable or I just don't agree with. That's life. Try as I might, I can't find anything truly at fault in the steps themselves. I feel I need the program so I overlook the details and feast on the meat.

Tolerance is a skill I need to learn. In active addiction, I found all kinds of fault and issues and used those petty details as excuses for bad behavior, for isolating, for using, etc. I don't want to continue to let those things keep me from recovery. I can go to a bar and order soda, to a buffet and not eat a double helping of everything, and I can go to a meeting and take what is good for me and leave the rest.

I do NOT say prayers, oaths or the like that I do not agree with. Many times at the end of a meeting I have kept respectful silence.

Your recovery plan sounds great.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you went act10n

D