Notices

Trying to recover from alcoholism and a toxic relationship

Old 10-12-2011, 05:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying to recover from alcoholism and a toxic relationship

Hello – I am new here and I need support! I am terrified of where to go next. I have been in a live in relationship for the past 4 years. My drinking has gotten out of control the last year or two. After searching the internet for advice and guidance I realized that this was an extremely toxic relationship that I needed to get out of. When I read articles about living with sociopaths I almost couldn’t breathe – I could have written those articles. Now I am setting out on my own and trying to recover from the breakup and deal with my alcoholism. It was such a viscous cycle…the worse he made me feel about myself the more I drank and of course that gave him more ammo to tear me down some more.

I should be in my new apartment by this weekend and I am a basket case. I am not blaming him for my drinking – I know it is my way of dealing with the pain but now what? By the grace of God I have never had legal or job problems due to my drinking but drinking a beer at 8:00 am on the way to work? Binge drinking until I pass out? What the hell is that? I am 1500 miles away from my family and support system – and I am not in a financial position to move back right now.

My goal is to get healthy – physically, emotionally and financially. But I feel so alone. I am 47 years old and starting over – again (I was divorced 6 years ago after 21 years of marriage). Drinking has become such a way of life the last year or two – I don’t want to be that crazy lady sitting in her apartment by herself passed out every night. I don’t recognize who I am anymore. I used to be an independent, strong, self confident woman (my ex husband was active duty special forces for 23 years and was deployed A LOT while I held down the home front). My self esteem and self confidence is at rock bottom.

I know that I can do this, that there is light at the end of the tunnel but I just feel so overwhelmed right now. Any words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated!
Old 10-12-2011, 05:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

You have a lot to deal with. Get a notepad & write a list for everything you need to do, prioritize your tasks and do one at a time. Try not to overwhelm yourself. Try finding an aa meeting for in person support & to talk about what's going on emotionally.

You'll find a stronger woman inside you soon enough. Be gentle with yourself, too!

Hugs,
Old 10-12-2011, 06:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome

You do have a lot going on. Look after yourself and your recovery first xx
Old 10-12-2011, 06:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

you are not alone. Please check out this forum DailyStrength Groups - Women who Love too Much it is to women in your (our) situation, what SR is to recovering addicts.

You are NOT alone. You CAN get through this.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Squeeter - I'm so glad you found us. This is a wonderful place, where we all understand what you're going through. Posting and reading here will be very helpful for you during this time of transition.

I promise you everything can get better. I used alcohol to cope with problems all my life, never realizing it was my enemy. What was once fun and relaxing became a necessity. I couldn't do a thing without it by my side - and yes, I did drink on the way to work - and all day long too.

Everything will get better - the fog will lift. You have a great attitude, and you have us. You can have a whole new life.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Squeeter. We have much -- sooooo much in common -- right down to the living situation, which I went through a couple of months ago. All I can say is, even though you feel like a mess, you are on the right track and you CAN do it. Every day sober is one day closer to getting you back.

Even though I don't agree with everything offered up in AA, I find the fellowship and the singularity of purpose so incredibly comforting. You might want to check it out. I also find precious security in having a plan for each day -- whether it involves something "big" at work or something "small" at home like meals or cleaning. It gives me a sense of accomplishment and order amid the chaos inside.

I keep telling myself: Just do the next right thing. It hasn't (and I haven't) been perfect, but it IS better. SR is a great resource. Keep posting!