Notices

Had to skip the 7am meeting and go to the NOON ...

Old 10-12-2011, 04:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Had to skip the 7am meeting and go to the NOON ...

There was an AA meeting at 7pm. I was going to go there but my mom was sleeping and it was an open meeting. The noon meeting is closed and would like to talk about my problem openly without someone talking about it in public. It's a trust issue I have which I don't even know if I will talk at all in AA. I just may get a white chip and just listen for the first time.

I don't want to jump the gun and pick a sponsor that I can't relate too like last time. I went to AA in 2009 and got a sponsor. The problem was that I could not stop drinking at the time and I got a sponsor that I could never relate too. Very pushy and someone I just didn't like in general. Also he was 10 years older then me. Would like to have a sponsor that is around my age.

I have very controlling parents and shy away anyone is try to control me.

There is also an AA meeting downtown where was talking to someone yesterday night and he has a year of sobriety which I feel like I had a good connection. The problem is that he is not ready to be a sponsor yet. I guess I need to go to a few meetings first before I decide to get a sponsor anyway.

Old 10-12-2011, 05:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The only criteria necessary in a sponsor is that he has had a spiritual awakening as the result of the Steps, and that he can walk you through the BB using your own experience.

I know it seems like he needs to have all these other things (close to your age, can 'relate' to), but experience shows none of that is really necessary. Find somebody doing the real deal and jump in his back pocket.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

You can always get a temporary sponsor for the time being.