Notices

Cant put the pot down

Old 10-11-2011, 08:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cant put the pot down

Im new to SR. First Id like to thank all the members, admin, etc. for giving me a place to go to get help. Any words of encouragement are greatly appreciated.
Im 28 y/o and have no aspirations, no goals, and no motivation. I have been smoking weed for about half my life, and a heavy user ever since I graduated high school. I am an unemployed mechanic. I make enough money to eat and smoke weed and I live in my dads house so I dont pay rent, and I seem content with my existence. But the reality is that Im not only harming myself but those around me as well, so today is DAY ONE (10/11/11). God willing today I start a new chapter in the story that is my life. Thanks for listening to my rant.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

I gave it up 4+ months ago. It's simple-stop smoking it, but Not easy-get into MA or AA or NA so you are with people who know what you're going through. We like to mask our emotions.

Today I can think It through before I act in it.

Best wishes on recovering!
Old 10-11-2011, 08:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

good for you!

I am not quite there yet, but really want to quit pot. But I am focusing on not drinking right now, and thats about all I can handle!
I admire your honesty. Feels good.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

@alaska, one prob at a time, I repect and admire that thanks for those kind words.
@sugar B, I know I have to get in touch with like minded people. The problem is that I dont want to cut off all my current friends, but right now I dont see any other way
Old 10-11-2011, 09:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

wuts up joel......best advice i can give you is to throw away everything that has to do with toking up.....lighters, bongs, pipes and maybe your pot buddies. thats what my roommate did and his life completely changed(2months sober)....i can definitely assure you that the reason you have no motivation and no goals is because your pot addiction is halting all of that....i bet if you kick this habit you'll see a big improvement in your life....since you've been smoking throughout your whole adult hood and it basically has not gotten you anywhere you would like to be at, i think doing things backwards will help....remember, you don't know your capabilities yet because you never gave yourself a chance....good luck and we are all here for you, this forum really helps....
Old 10-11-2011, 09:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

Welcome to SR joeld. I'm glad you're here. Congratulations on making the decision to change your life. Sometimes that's the hardest part. I can relate to how you feel about cutting off your friends, but you already seem to realize that we have to be willing to make difficult changes in our lives. Like Sugarbear said, get some support; it makes a huge difference. Keep coming back and posting.

--Fenris.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
csim

Joeld, It's very easy. I'm 26 live at home and am unemployed. I gave up pot 4 years ago. My main reason was that I was tired of being high. I acted totally different when I was and I smoked all day. As soon as I woke up I started the day smoking. I don't have much advice as far as how to handle quitting. I know that you have to want to do it. It's a different feeling than just being dry. I remember not having any and I was a complete psycho, but quitting was very different. I smoked my last supply and was okay with it. My problem was that I picked up more drinking instead. I found out I can't do that either so that lead me here. If you truly want to be clean you have to stay that way. You will notice a difference in yourself in about a week. You mind will be clearer and you will start to be more motivated than usual. If you have friends that smoke, just tell them that you don't want anything to do with it and to not do it around you. It took me about a year before I could be around it again and I don't have a problem at all with smelling it. It actually bothers me now.

You have to find the right reasons to quit and it will make it so much easier for you. It is possible and your mind will thank you for it. Best of luck!
Old 10-11-2011, 11:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I quit the stuff about a month ago (one month tomorrow, actually) - I'm addicted to alcohol, weed and coke and weed was by far the most difficult to quit. But it can be done and the more time you put between you and getting high, the easier it gets. I agree with the above suggestion to get rid of all the stuff associated with smoking - when I did that, I felt like I lost a good friend or something, but it was an important step in accepting and embracing sobriety.

Weed made me fat, lazy and stupid. I would shirk responsibilities at work just so I could get home and get high. I smoked before I went in, went home on my lunch break to get high and got home as soon as I could and I did this every single day for a couple of years. My house was a mess and I was barely functioning. But now I'm actually functioning, I'm doing the things I'm supposed to be doing, I have motivation to actually get out and do things...plus, I've been kind of keeping track of the money I've saved since quitting - in a month, it's been just about $1000...I don't even want to think about how much money I've drank, smoked and snorted/shot up over the years....yikes.

I know it probably doesn't feel like it right now, but it really is better on the sober side of things! Hang in there!!!
Old 10-11-2011, 11:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

I gave up both about 2 days apart. My party friends accept my choice, but we've been distant.....

I understand.....

Old 10-11-2011, 11:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Giving up the pot is definitely worth it. It was my drug of choice for a long time. I sat around smoking all day with my roommates and "friends" and I ended up getting kicked out of the best public university in my state. I never went to class, when I did I was too high to hear anything, and I never did any work. I had a complete lack of motivation. It took me getting kicked out of school and crawling back home to my parents' house in shame to realize how it was affecting me. I stopped smoking and all those "friends" I thought I had no longer appealed to me. I haven't spoken with many of them in years and I have no desire to either. When you sober up for a bit, you realize that stoners and partiers aren't really funny or fun to be around; you were just drug buddies and when you quit, you no longer have anything in common.

I say all that in the hope that you can see my mistakes and put down the smoke. One thing I'd like to warn you about is drinking. When I was smoking, I never liked drinking. When I stopped smoking, I suddenly loved drinking. Don't make the same mistake I did. Don't replace once addiction with another. It'll end just as bad or maybe worse.

So, start today and put it down. Get some sober time under your belt and you'll be able to think so much clearer. In a few days, your mind will straighten out and you can make some educated decisions on how to move forward and accomplish your goals in life. You can do this!
Old 10-11-2011, 03:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi joeld2036

I smoked pot for 20 years, pretty much daily.

It was a huge jolt for me to give it up, but like you and others here I grew to hate the way it made me feel...I no longer enjoyed the experience...the drug was taking me, not the other way around.

Be prepared to feel irritated for a while, and a little restless...but I found it easier to give up than other drugs, if that helps

Welcome aboard

D
Old 10-11-2011, 03:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

this afternoon, I bumped into my boy and he doesnt take my quitting seriously so after saying whats up he proceeds to ask me "whats good on IT"..I get it, I might have to give up some of my friends but I just wish there was another way..I'm trying to get my boys to stop with me, we 3 have all been messing with the idea of quitting for different reasons, but hopefully when they see me changing for the better, they will take a cue and follow. I dont think Im wrong for wanting them to do better as well..any thoughts are welcome
Old 10-11-2011, 04:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you for deciding to live a sober life.

It's understandable that you don't want to lose your friends and that you want to help them. But, it's best to keep the focus on yourself.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I definitely needed to drop a lot of the old crew...some supported me, a lot didn't...and some actively worked against me to try and keep me smoking...
D
Old 10-11-2011, 09:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

thanks for all these words of encouragement and thank you for the support. Day 1 is a wrap..tomorrow seems brighter already
Old 10-11-2011, 09:31 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Putting it all together

joeld-
Your true friends will support you no matter what you do. When I was taking drugs and not pot..........I found out who loved me. I call the other people frien-emies. They want to be friends but when you stop using they are like "Well, What about the stuff?" Stay clean and do it a day at a time. You can change, you have already started. Congrats.

Blessings,
Kahlia
Old 10-12-2011, 05:52 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Here's to your 2nd day of no waking and baking and chasing the high all day long! The others are right - it will be so worth it. The feeling if having a clear head after being in a fog for so long will be great. Hang in there!