Notices

Day 2: Was finally honest with my doctor about everything!!

Old 10-11-2011, 06:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cool Day 2: Was finally honest with my doctor about everything!!

So yesterday I went to see my doctor and I finally just let it all out on the table. I told him how I have been suffering with anxiety for many years and that I could not take it anymore. We talked about my health and habits and come to find out I am doing practically everything wrong! For me the hardest part was admitting that although I dont drink everyday, when I do drink it is not just one or two drinks. He got a little smile on his face and said "well thats your problem right there!" Apparently alcohol and anxiety are not friends like I though they were. Its quite the opposite. Alcohol actually can leave us feeling more anxious than before. Especially the morning after which has always been my big problem. Our bodies are so worn down and tired that they are not able to fight off any stress or other triggers that may cause anxiety. I dont know about you all but when Im drunk Im running to the nearest pizza stand, not a veggie stand. Our diet plays a huge role in how we deal with anxiety and stupid me never put two and two together. In all I left my doctors appointment feeling more confident that I can kick this nasty habbit in the butt before it completely takes over my life. Hope this helped anyone...
Old 10-11-2011, 06:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Awesome! I'm happy for you. You can stay stopped!! Do you have a plan or program to follow? I drank alone-isolating. Today I have wonderful people in my life.

Stick around here, too!
Old 10-11-2011, 07:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well done Sara and for lots of people its a pretty scary thing to go in and tell your doctor the story including drinking and/or using.

Diet and balance in life make a big difference to me so you may find the same but a plan is also needed and fighting it all alone is usually too much for most people. Lots of support here and other places , look through the postings and lists on SR
Old 10-11-2011, 08:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks you guys! Its baby steps for me but its better to start somewhere then not start at all. I have enjoyed being on this site and reading what other people have to say so we will see how this all goes!!
Old 10-11-2011, 09:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

It takes a lot of courage to be honest with your doctor, so good for you. I know exactly what you mean about the next morning and anxiety -- I used to think that part of the reason I drank was because of anxiety; came to find out that pretty much the only reason I had anxiety was because I drank. Even barely a month without alcohol and things that used to send my heart up into my throat and keep it there barely rattle my cage now. Glad you're here Sara -- baby steps are a good way to do this thing. Keep it simple and keep moving forward.

--Fenris.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wow,
I am so impressed with you Sara, I think it takes incredible courage and strength of charcter to admit fully what is going on with a person.

I am sure after reading so many posts form the wonderfully brave people in here that you have done absolutly the right thing, and that slowly, bit by bit you will begin to see you life unfurl into the beatuful experience that you want it to be..

I have the utmost respect and a bucket full of best wishes for you.
Way to go Girl!

*hugs*

Belle.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wow that is so awesome. I have know for a long time that alcohol abuse causes anxiety - any relief you get is only temporary. I didn't understand the diet part. I started eating much better when I quit drinking.

Keep it up Sara!
Old 10-11-2011, 11:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome, sara! It's great that you were able to get honest with your doctor. I can only imagine how many people tell their physician they only have a couple drinks here and there!

It was such a relief not to have that horrible anxiety anymore. By day 4, I woke up with a smile on my face and I thought "whoa.....when's the last time that happened?"

Congratulations on day 2!
Old 10-11-2011, 04:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

good for you Sara

D
Old 10-11-2011, 04:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sara, it's great that you found out that anxiety is worsened by alcohol. It's ironic that many of us turn to alcohol to self-medicate anxiety and depression, only to find out that we are making things so much worse.

I hope you keep reading and posting.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Sara,

In your post you linked alcohol, anxiety and diet. I feel anxious so I drink which leads me to feel more anxiety the next day and so I drink ...........

Would only eat properly if I wasn't drinking. People would say oh at least she eats healthily. Someone told me early on that an alcoholic does not process the food efficiently therefore robbing the body of nutrition I never told my doctor I drank and if he asked i would halve it.

Welcome to the forum
Good on you Sara
Old 10-11-2011, 06:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome Sara,

Getting rid of that horrible, debilitating, controlling anxiety has been one of the most liberating feelings I have ever experienced...I remember that horrible feeling vividly and that's one of the things that keeps me going..I NEVER want to feel like that again.

Alcohol had me handcuffed...I found the key
Old 10-12-2011, 05:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I can relate to so much in this thread. The absolute worst part is the anxiety for me - and that word doesn't even cut it. It's like all the demons in Hell are after me, and only me, and no one else can see them. I am paralyzed - afraid to drive, afraid to go out by myself (unless of course I can sip/gulp a few) - this is no way to live!!

On Day 2 here... so far I am strong. I also have quite a bit of weight to lose - when I drink I eat like a teenage trucker on steroids (or something like that) - the junkier/greasier the better.

Have a good day all!

jeannie
Old 10-12-2011, 06:15 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congrats on your decision to try and quit!

I know for me that alcohol played an integral role in my own anxiety issues. I've never been able to figure out if the drinking caused the anxiety or if the anxiety led me to drink, but, I do know that when I quit drinking my anxiety became much more manageable. Quitting drinking may not cure your anxiety but your life will be much better.

Good luck.