Notices

Dealing with the edginess?

Old 10-10-2011, 07:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dealing with the edginess?

What are good ways for someone to deal with the edginess? I'm on my second day of sobriety and feel really jumpy and just plain irritable, which I expected but not to this degree. Any suggestions of what has helped you through these type of moments?
Old 10-10-2011, 07:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome!

Ice cream. Exercise. Good carbs. Fruit & veggies.

More help shall come. I went to a lot of meetings.

Alcohol only for you?
Old 10-10-2011, 07:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Posting and reading here a lot helped me
changing my routine, and making sure I got lots of rest and good food helped too

It does get easier Bijou
D
Old 10-10-2011, 07:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcome sugarbear! Yes, only alcohol. Many many many years of it.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks D! At my last meeting I was told that eating was very important, but just don't seem to be hungry. When I was drinking I hardly ever ate, one reason was I rationed what I did eat so that I could drunk faster, the other? I knew that there was a lot of calories in the booze, therefore I would pick the booze over eating. Wow, seeing this in writing rather than rationalizing it in my head, really is awful. ugh!!!
Old 10-10-2011, 08:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Not eating, rationalizing my drinking... Been there, for sure.

It does get better, the irritability dissipates after a while. I did a lot of meditation my first 30 days when I was in rehab, which is not my MO at all, but it seemed to help a lot.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

I didn't eat much, either. Controlled by a 6 pack a night, give or take.
Tonight, jalepeno mac & cheese made with green & orange noodles, multi-grain flour (home made). Who knew once I stopped drinking the acid reflux/heartburn & stomach problems would disappear!?!
And I can eat spicy foods! And I don't need weed to get an appetite. I gained 12 pounds in 4 months, lost almost 3 in 28 days...

You need to eat. Remember, we get irritable when HALT (PHALT) hungry, angry, lonely, tired, or in pain (me). P.H.A.L.T. Try to get into a more normal routine. I used to pass out ofall asleep on the couch) with tv blaring, lights on. No wonder sleeping is an issue...alcohol messes with REM sleep.

Caffeine free tea with honey & lemon, orange juice with karo syrup (corn syrup). Citrus sugar water. Cleanses our body. Lots of water.

You'll be ok! Stick around! I've made 4 months & 27 days so far! It gets different & better!
Old 10-10-2011, 08:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I was the same way I never used to eat when I was drinking. People would have a beer or two with their meal and the food would make me sick looking at it. I later found out that our bodies learn to prioritize the "easy" energy that comes from alcohol over that pesky food. Also that many of us become malnourished during our drinking careers.

Maybe try smaller snack type meals of things you enjoy. Even if they're not the healthiest in the world. Your body needs nutrients right now so any way you can get them would be good. Also I would advise trying to avoid caffeine, for me it tends to really increase the edginess and the anxiety.

Stick with it it gets easier!
Old 10-10-2011, 10:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found it was not so much I wasn't hungry as I was just so unmotivated to eat...I hope your appetite will return soon Bijou - mine did

D