Notices

Drinking Responsibly

Old 10-10-2011, 01:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drinking Responsibly

For me, there is no such thing. Never was. Even when I first started to drink I never understood why people would have one drink and quit. What is the point? WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT TO DRINK RESPONSIBLY?? The only point to drink was to get drunk. If you are only going to have one or two drinks, why have any? I would just not drink at all if that was the idea. All or nothing. Now I have decided to have nothing, because getting drunk is not good.

Drinking responsibly. This is an oxymoron.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

I feel the same way. For me, to drink responsibly means to drink water.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

But it's not an oxymoron to most people...only to alcoholics. Most people who drink just have a drink or two to relax or whatever and it's not a problem.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

I understand! At 147 days, with female crampies, I wanna get drunk. No, I want 2, maybe 3 or 6 beers. Ok, I can't. Gonna get to a meeting to hear the message and maybe help someone else.

This was a thought. Just my thought. The creepy alkie thought. Just one. No! Just one more day sober!
Old 10-10-2011, 02:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I like that cat.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's funny (well not really funny; kind of sad actually) when you get that voice in your head that says you could learn to drink responsibly after some sober time. That's what led me back to the bottle. I would imagine that learning to cut down that thought as quickly as it arises is key to staying sober but what I do know. I'm still struggling.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Lots of my friends can drink responsibly but they are not alcoholics. I am not around them during times were alcohol is or was or will be present. They know its not part of what I can be around as they know I am an alcoholic and if they didn't know , I told them.

The selective addiction of alcohol is with me and its all or none for me and same within my family tree. The only time I taper or control is knowing the horror awaiting the withdrawal ahead...prior to yet another visit with the Dr...and the desire/desperation again to get back to the fullness of sobriety .....I still struggle but see that the effort is worth it and we are not alone. The binges have decreased in duration and intensity as I get older and more afraid and sure want this one to be the last but its one day at a time. So I will be sticking to SR and meetings and whatever other thing I can before the insanity of "just one" hits.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

I went and now I feel differently. Amazing. Amazing Grace!
Old 10-10-2011, 06:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If I could drink responsibly I wouldn't be a member of the SR community.