Musical therapy

Old 10-09-2011, 10:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Musical therapy

I was reading a book today about some degenerative neurological illnesses. This has been an interest to me as my mother died from a side effect of a form of dementia. Once I found out what was wrong with her, I've been reading up a storm.

Anyway, a prominent researcher (don't have the book handy will find the page tomorrow) has found that the unknown part of the brain that appreciates music does not degenerate. People with these disorders may lose the ability to eat and even talk, but will still appreciate music.

I wonder if that might be why, especially in early recovery, people are so attracted to music of all forms. Look at the music posts here in Secular, the Cafe etc.

Anyway, just something to think about.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Professor Edmond Chiu, senior researcher at the University of Melbourne during a presentation on Huntington's disease
Our experience is that the Huntington's patient retains the ability to appreciate music ability right to the end. It may be that the part of the brain controlling musical ability and music appreciation is not affected by Huntington's disease. We don't know where the part of the brain is, but where ever it is they appreciate music. That is a very important part of their quality of life." (Dainton, T. p 92)
I found this theory interesting and would not be surprised if it pertains to other forms of brain damage.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Eyes Open, No Fear

I also find this very interesting - many people, myself included, have such a strong connection to music. It may sound extreme but I am certain at times music has at least contributed to saving my life.

I find it comforting to know that this part of the brain is still functioning even as these diseases progress.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I almost majored in music therapy! Then my mom told me that a lot of insurance companies don't cover music therapy so there's not a big demand for it, i.e., job finding and maintaining would be tough...so I switched to graphic design. lol

But music is a very powerful thing, especially for me. I used to play piano, and that was just like therapy for me. Music seems to communicate the emotions that we have a hard time expressing.