Notices

Hour by hour

Old 10-09-2011, 01:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hour by hour

I am trying not to drink today, and since the wife is out of town and I'm home alone I jut wanted to tell someone that that is my goal for the day, thinking that perhaps by telling someone I would be more likely to stick to it.

I'm sitting in the sun and reading The Tao of Sobriety and trying to surf the waves of anxiety and guilt and shame. I recognize that these are just the traits of a hangover and that they will pass but man this is hard. I know they'll go away (til tomorrow) if I have a drink, but I also know they'll go away if I just sit here.

I feel awful and need some encouragement here. I'm just trying to make it through today. That will be good enough and all I can do today anyhow, right?
Old 10-09-2011, 01:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Deserto

In one day you can crack the habits of a lifetime. Good luck and peace to you.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome! Yes, why not take it 'one day at a time' since we're only allowed to live one day at a time. I too used to fall for the alcohol anxiety relief when going thru w/d. I'd be so ashamed of myself but I just couldnt stand the anxiety.

The last time I vowed to get sober for good I just buckled down and toughed my way thru the w/d and within a few days the anxiety was a lot better. You're right that it will go away if you just 'sit there'. It will, but it can be rough at first. Be sure to drink lots of water and juice and take vitamins. (B vitamins especially) There are also teas that help to relax, like chamomile for one.

If you start to feel really bad or strange, please get medical help as detox can be dangerous. I hope you can get thru the next few days without drinking. You should start feeling better after a few days to a week, but after the physical w/d is over you need to deal with the mental obsession of drinking. I made my sobriety more solid by practicing gratitude on a daily basis. It really helped me a lot by making me so aware of all I could lose if I drank again.

Come here often and read and post as you like. You'll find a lot of support and useful information here. Look around at our different forums too. Lots of different subjects for discussion.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Deserto,

Even though toughing out a hangover may be difficult, if you drink the syptoms will be worse tomorrow. It sounds like you have a good plan for nuturing yourself. I only have 2 weeks of sobriety, but I have been trying to pamper myself in all ways possible. Also, this website and the courageous people have been instrumental in strengthening my resolve. A nice warm bath is a good way to relax without resorting to alcohol.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Deserto! I remember taking it one hour at a time my first day. Stay as busy as you can. Distract yourself with whatever keeps your mind busy. You can do this!!!

Best Wishes To You!
Old 10-09-2011, 02:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for your support. It's amazing how long an hour can be sometimes but I am feeling less shaky -- the vitamins and water helped, but I know I need to eat something.

I was supposed to go on a hike with a friend at 5 but she cancelled on me so I'm going to take the dog to the beach and get outside (it's a beautiful day). It's this evening that will be hard but I just want to be able to wake up tomorrow and not have that feeling of regret and shame. It's hard because being home alone is a big trigger for me.

How ridiculous it is to have to limp through a day like this and not give in to an impulse. I feel like bawling.

Normally I wouldn't even think about drinking til the evening but because I've made this resolve to not drink tonight, I'm just obsessed with it.

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers and words of encouragement.
Old 10-09-2011, 03:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

I hope you made it through today. I challenge you not to drink just for tomorrow!
Old 10-09-2011, 04:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

I suggest bawling. You won't have to feel this way again!

Still ok? Hugs & love,
Old 10-09-2011, 04:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Early on in my recovery I walked the dogs any time I had a desire to drink. I stayed sober, and they loved me for all those walks.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Deserto, it's fine to limp through the first few days.

Don't be too hard on yourself. Your body is going through a lot, as well as your mind and spirit. You can get through it, and though the first few days seem so long, they will pass.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Yes do eat something....not too spicey as it could upset your stomach.
Walking is a good idea and keep drinking lots of water.
If you can't sleep ...rest...come on here..listen to pleasant music.

Remember why you want to quit drinking....keep that in focus...
Old 10-09-2011, 05:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. Still here and still sober. Took the dog to the beach and threw the ball into the river for him (you want to talk about gratitude, he was grateful for that) and read my book. Drank two sparkling waters instead of the four or five beers I'd normally have at the beach.

The hangover has passed so that's good, but it also opens up a line of thought: see, you're fine... go ahead and crack a beer. A greyhound would be refreshing...

So now I need to figure out what to do for the evening. Need to straighten the house (why is it that all these threads involve us straightening our houses? I don't want to straighten the damn house...) and either cook a meal or maybe go out for dinner. Maybe go to a film. I don't know. I can't really decide if I want to be alone or with other people. I think alone but that's challenging in its own right.

Shoot. Felt great coming back from the beach but now it's dusk out.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Stay on this site...the hours will go by fast as you read the threads...definately cry...oh, that would be such a relief...put something yummy to eat in your stomach...try to go to bed early....as each hour passes, and you stay sober, your that much closer to another day without a drink....Keep posting your progress, your thoughts....there are so many people here to help.....I have faith in you....you are strong, you CAN do this
Old 10-09-2011, 05:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

There is nothing wrong with limping through a day. If at the end of the day you are sober, than your day was a huge success.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Deserto - Everyone else already said the good stuff - so I'll just say I'm so glad you're here with us. We've all been where you are right now, and we understand just what you're feeling. You can do this - and you'll never have to go through it again. Be proud of yourself for wanting a better life.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
and you'll never have to go through it again.
This just makes me want to weep. Correction, it makes me weep.

Porkchops are on the counter, thawing. I'm going to go rent a movie and buy some coffee for the morning.

So quiet here all I hear is that darned clock ticking.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Believe me, it's so worth the effort it takes to stay sober. Every morning I wake up feeling good, well, most mornings anyway, and it's my first reward of the day for staying sober. I used to wake up every morning feeling horrible and hating myself. Those days are gone and never coming back. I love waking up happy.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:58 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hang in there Deserto! Definitely get something to eat ASAP - One of the best crave-killer is ice cream or milkshakes.... Even just some sugary candy can help. Alcohol has tons of sugar and it messes with our blood sugar, so that when our levels drop it feels like a huge craving to drink.

Stay in the moment, find something to be grateful for. Forget the house, by the way....(!) Keep things simple/easy....... Hang out here..... It really does get better :ghug3
Old 10-09-2011, 07:26 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Ok, it's like a mini-Thanksgiving in the kitchen right now. Green bean casserole, stuffing, and... uh... pork chops in the oven. Movie in the DVD player. Dog is fed and sleeping.

For a nightcap... some mint chocolate chip ice cream.

It's not over yet... but holy smokes I think I've got this.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:46 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It's not over yet... but holy smokes I think I've got this.
and :ghug3