Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

October 9 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON

Old 10-09-2011, 01:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Present

October 9 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

When we speak of miracles happening in Al-Anon, we often include among these the entry of a spouse into AA and sobriety.

This is indeed a miracle, but it is not our miracle; it is the alcoholic’s. It is not our business (nor has it ever been!) to watch over him, worry about his sobriety, see that he doesn’t drink, that he goes to the right number of AA meetings. If we continue the techniques of management and supervision that did so much to make a mess of life during the drinking days, we’re headed for trouble.

We can and should be grateful on his behalf, but our business is with Al-Anon and ourselves. This wonderful program will help us make something of our own lives. Our responsibility to the alcoholic is to let him manage his own sobriety, and to be gentle, courteous and cooperative.

TODAY’S REMINDER

The AA member, however close to me, is the concern of his friends in AA. He must be left free to follow the program in his own way. IF I am truly grateful, I will keep hands off.

“Study to be quiet, and to do your own business.” – Thessalonians

“…and confuse not the business of others with your own.”
Old 10-09-2011, 10:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This hit home today. I've been having a rough week obsessing. I hate that word....obsessing. But, that's what I've been doing all week. Even though I have been trying to keep my mind off my axbf, it has been especially difficult. Thank you for posting this.