Notices

My First Attempt

Old 10-08-2011, 06:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My First Attempt

wuts up guys.....i am 28 years old and have been drinking pretty much since i graduated high school....its basically escalated throughout time and now i drink bout 10beers to the face if im out at a bar, club or party. if at home ill have about a six pack to the face and this goes on everyday....i live with roommates who have opposite schedules than mines and when its basically my time to go to sleep to get up in the morning for work, they are up being loud with other friends of mines which leads me to drinking every night just so i can fall asleep...i cant blame them because at the end of the day im the one who puts the beers in my mouth and drinks them....i basically drink because im more social that way, i feel that when im sober im MR. Boring and have nothing to say...i know my drinking habits are wrong and its time to make a right....i saw my doctor yesterday morning and told him my problems....he wants me to stop completely and set an appointment for next week to follow up on my progress...his advice was to get through the first 4days of hell and i would feel better as i went along from there i just need to have a strong will power to quit, if i cant then AA it is.....he prescribed me xanax but told me not to take it unless i started to have bad withdrawals....as of now on day 2, i feel like crap but not that bad....i wish everybody luck with beating this addiction, we can all do it....you only live once and we all would enjoy life better in a sober mind set...the thought alone of being sober this holiday season with my family who i hide this addiction from brings me to tears, i think i owe it to them....bless you all!
Old 10-08-2011, 07:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome ogpr!

Congratulations on your decision to get sober! Very smart of you to see a doctor, too. I think your positive attitude will serve you well.

I first noticed I had a problem when I was drinking every night to get to sleep. It only took a couple beers at first but started requiring more and more to get the same affect. Then it started giving me energy, and making me depressed and anxious the next day...... It's a vicious cycle that only gets worse.

I'm glad you've joined...... It's really important to get support if we want to stay sober long-term.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR ogpr54

D
Old 10-08-2011, 09:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcome guys....I'm really happy I found this forum...right now a group of friends are heading to the bar and it's hard to make the right decision after I've been used to allways going out and drinking...at this very moment my friend is giving me the whole "u can just hang out and not drink" but I think that's the worst thing I could do.... I have to avoid that enviroment...
Old 10-08-2011, 09:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by artsoul View Post
Welcome ogpr!

Congratulations on your decision to get sober! Very smart of you to see a doctor, too. I think your positive attitude will serve you well.

I first noticed I had a problem when I was drinking every night to get to sleep. It only took a couple beers at first but started requiring more and more to get the same affect. Then it started giving me energy, and making me depressed and anxious the next day...... It's a vicious cycle that only gets worse.

I'm glad you've joined...... It's really important to get support if we want to stay sober long-term.
Wow....it's like your narrating my life...that was basically my routine, I'll drink till I passed out and then get up the next day with a day full of anxiety attacks. Matter fact, in the past year I've been to the ER three times after suffering a panic attack at work... It's embarrassing and it could have cost me my job because my boss thought I was just trying to ditch work....this addiction is ugly....ur right, it's gets worse as it keeps going....it's not even fun anymore.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome...

Nothing is more boreing than sitting around a bar when you are not drinking.
I'm glad you stayed out of the deal...well done...

BTW...you might want to use ear plugs to lessen the noise at home.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
Welcome...

Nothing is more boreing than sitting around a bar when you are not drinking.
I'm glad you stayed out of the deal...well done...

BTW...you might want to use ear plugs to lessen the noise at home.
good idea, im gonna buy some ear plugs for the next time that happens.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hope you're doing well today, opgr!

Wanted to add that it's normal to have some insomnia after we stop drinking, so give yourself some time to see if it resolves itself.

If you find that you have ongoing issues with it like I do, there's a lot of options out there (things like melatonin, meditation, relaxation exercises).... I eventually talked to a psychiatrist and he put me on Trazadone (a mild anti-depressant I take before bed) which works great for me and isn't potentially addictive like some other sleep meds. So there IS help..... ..... and anything is better than picking up a drink.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders. I wish I would have stoped when I was 28. Good for you - as you probably know, it doesn't get any easier, and it never gets better. I am proud of you for taking action now!Take care.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

thank you.....you guys are more encouragement to me than my own friends......i must say today has been the roughest....ive been getting mild anxiety trying to stay away from my old routines....the good thing is that now i can sit down and watch some tv or a movie, play with my playstation 3 to keep me entertained....before i use to try to do those things and i couldn't concentrate without drinking a beer while doing it.....
Old 10-10-2011, 12:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

today im on day 4 of being sober...thank the lord im off work today!...been keeping my self busy, a bit light headed and some anxiety but my mood is pretty good.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

You're on a roll! Keep it up!