Anyone want to help brainstorm? Recovery Options

Old 10-08-2011, 10:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone want to help brainstorm? Recovery Options

I'm wondering what all of the alcohol recovery methods are...they can be established or even something you thought of on your own. I've decided I'm going to have to formulate my own recovery method based on my own issues and pull the things that resonate with me from the different methods. So far, I know of the following:

AA
Rational Recovery
Women for Sobriety
SMART Recovery...for some reason I'm thinking that's the same as Rational Recovery
Personal Counseling
Old 10-08-2011, 04:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

There's 'SOS' and 'LifeRing'.

I like the cut and paste recovery modality myself. Its as good as any recovery program or better out there. One thing about having an addiction treatment that is meaningful to me is that it gets right to the heart of my problem. I can do that without having to be indoctrinated into somebody else idea of what recovery is. That and I don't play follow the leader to well .
Old 10-08-2011, 04:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by AprilMay1895 View Post
SMART Recovery...for some reason I'm thinking that's the same as Rational Recovery
SMART Recovery used to be the Rational Recovery Self-Help network, before RR abandoned Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy (REBT) in favor of AVRT and shut down its meetings. SMART still uses REBT and "The Small Book" from RR, which includes much REBT material. Some of this history, though not all of it, is covered in the SMART Recovery FAQ.

Originally Posted by SMART Recovery FAQ

Q. What is the history of the relationship between SMART Recovery® and Rational Recovery?

A. SMART Recovery, a non-profit corporation, was originally named the Rational Recovery Self-Help Network, and was affiliated with Rational Recovery Systems, a for-profit corporation owned by Jack Trimpey. In 1994 the non-profit changed its name to SMART Recovery, and ended all affiliation with Trimpey. This change occurred because of disagreements between Trimpey and the non-profit's board of directors about the program of recovery to be offered in the self-help groups.

Q. What are the differences between SMART Recovery® and Rational Recovery (RR)?

A. The ultimate organizational authority in SMART Recovery® is the Board of Directors. The ultimate program authority is scientific knowledge and rational thought, as interpreted by the Program Committee and Board of Directors. In RR, the ultimate authority for all issues is the owners. SMART Recovery® has a broad program that includes attention to motivation, urges, problem-solving and lifestyle balance. From the perspective of the SMART Recovery® Program, RR (as of 1997) appears to have a narrower focus, primarily on urge coping. Earlier RR (as expressed in The Small Book, which is on the SMART Recovery® Recommended Reading List) had a broader focus. SMART Recovery® offers groups, publications, and an Internet listserve discussion group. RR offers educational workshops and publications.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
I'll just note that I myself have used REBT for certain things ("other issues"), but I did not use it for the purposes of ending my addiction. I was already familiar with the method independently of SMART or RR.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I dunno how up to date these links are but theres some good ones here:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...cular-web.html

D
Old 10-08-2011, 06:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the help guys. I went to SMART recovery's website since I'm looking for some in-person meetings and there's like a black hole for meetings surrounding Eau Claire, WI. lol This city has about 70,000 people in it which is plenty to constitute a group, but we only have AA meetings...funny how there can be local addiction recovery method dominance...maybe if I like SMART's methods, I can convince them to come hither. lol
Old 10-08-2011, 06:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

SMART does have online meetings.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks TU. Since a good part of my drinking is rationalized in my head by the lack of personal connections in my life, I think it'd be better for me to attend groups in person for me to connect to...even if it's a 1.5 hour drive...or I could even attend AA speaker meetings where I don't have to mock my affection for the program but can feel the common interpersonal support for sobriety, it may be beneficial for me. When I feel disconnected from people is the point where I have the most issues pertaining to sobriety.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Poison Eater Extraordinaire

If you're on the west coast, can you find a Lifering meeting near you? I'm lucky enough to have SMART meetings near me but I am thinking I may add some speaker AA meetings to my "mix". I like hearing people's stories and in general I feel better when I'm around people like myself. I don't feel I *need* meetings, but I actually enjoy them.
Old 10-09-2011, 03:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

I'm writing this from the SMART Recovery annual gathering in Baltimore, and one thing that's really impressed me is the level of connection between people who know each other only from the online meetings and chat rooms. Also there are a decent number of folks who say that they will go to 12 step meetings just for the connection, but who use SMART as their basis for recovery.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
FT

AprilMay,

While I was posting on another thread a moment I ago, I remembered you had this thread going. There used to be "aversion therapy" methods a few years ago, and maybe they still exist. The concept is to add a bad sensation to the drinking or smoking experience, to create a negative association. Like an electric shock. Or something. It would be interesting to find out if they still do that kind of stuff.

(For those who want to throw "Antabuse" out there -- yes, similar idea, but I mean stuff like electric shock therapy. Having said that, AprilMay, there IS antabuse type therapy out there, but it is not usually used exclusively I don't think. I don't think it works very well, and it can be dangerous.

FT
Old 10-09-2011, 09:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by onlythetruth View Post
Also there are a decent number of folks who say that they will go to 12 step meetings just for the connection, but who use SMART as their basis for recovery.
I'm one of that number. I'm getting much better at filtering out those things that are said in ** meetings that don't jibe with my worldview. I tune into the positive vibe of people striving for a better wellness.

Ultimately the basis for my drug free lifestyle is on me and my attitude towards drugs. Its a matter of translating my attitude into action.
Old 10-09-2011, 03:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Failedtaper,

Funny you mentioned the aversion therapy. I was curious what would happen if you tried to mentally relate the object of your addiction to your worst fear. I've always been completely irrationally petrified of snakes, so I tried mentally associating alcohol with snakes. Sounds crazy but it worked for a little bit...told myself that the next can of beer I opened up would have a snake coiled up in it and every time I visualized beer, I visualized it with a snake next to it or on it...the idea is way out there, but it did create some aversion. lol
Old 10-10-2011, 05:37 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zencat View Post
I like the cut and paste recovery modality myself. Its as good as any recovery program or better out there. One thing about having an addiction treatment that is meaningful to me is that it gets right to the heart of my problem. I can do that without having to be indoctrinated into somebody else idea of what recovery is. That and I don't play follow the leader to well .
I'm like that too. I listed to what folks taking any approach are doing, taking what makes sense to me and either tuning out the stuff that doesn't fit or using it as an opportunity to gain clarity about what does fit and why. Someone asked me recently what my approach was and the best I could come up with was "thoughtful recovery". I think that much of what I've embraced on behalf of recovery isn't specific to addiction at all. Stuff that's more generally applicable to approaching life differently and cultivating a new kind of relationship with myself, others, the world. It's occurred to me that, had a sobriety-guaranteeing-pill existed when I decided to clean up, I might've gotten clean, but I'd still have had major issues with depression, anxiety and a general sense of meaningless. I reckon, why sober up just to be miserable?
Old 10-10-2011, 05:46 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by failedtaper View Post
AprilMay,

While I was posting on another thread a moment I ago, I remembered you had this thread going. There used to be "aversion therapy" methods a few years ago, and maybe they still exist. The concept is to add a bad sensation to the drinking or smoking experience, to create a negative association. Like an electric shock. Or something. It would be interesting to find out if they still do that kind of stuff.

(For those who want to throw "Antabuse" out there -- yes, similar idea, but I mean stuff like electric shock therapy. Having said that, AprilMay, there IS antabuse type therapy out there, but it is not usually used exclusively I don't think. I don't think it works very well, and it can be dangerous.

FT
I've been taking Antabuse for 2 1/2 years. That and AA works and I'm chronic
Old 10-10-2011, 05:47 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I asked my therapist for a referral for an elective lobotamy (seriously). Apparently that's no longer an option.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:25 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I was jokingly going to put lobotomy on my list. lol I also thought of putting antabuse on there, but heaven knows I'd have to test it even if I didn't want to drink. lol I was on an anti-biotic once that had strict instructions all over it and from my doctor and the pharmacist not to drink alcohol while taking it. So of course I drank anyway! And there was no effect. Apparently you were supposed to vomit profusely if you drank alcohol while taking it...silly medical people don't know that most of my drinking nights included vomiting profusely anyway!
Old 10-10-2011, 07:06 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome to SoberRecovery xxzzfile. Good to have you here.

Originally Posted by Augie
I think that much of what I've embraced on behalf of recovery isn't specific to addiction at all. Stuff that's more generally applicable to approaching life differently and cultivating a new kind of relationship with myself, others, the world. It's occurred to me that, had a sobriety-guaranteeing-pill existed when I decided to clean up, I might've gotten clean, but I'd still have had major issues with depression, anxiety and a general sense of meaningless. I reckon, why sober up just to be miserable?
Oh yes , me too. My goal isn't just to free myself from active addiction, but to live a wholesome balanced life in general. Developing and practicing healthy life skills is just as rewarding as overcoming an addiction that would have continued to make my life miserable.

Originally Posted by April
So of course I drank anyway! And there was no effect. Apparently you were supposed to vomit profusely if you drank alcohol while taking it...silly medical people don't know that most of my drinking nights included vomiting profusely anyway!
Silly doctors for sure .
Old 10-11-2011, 06:45 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
FT

Originally Posted by AprilMay1895 View Post
Failedtaper,

Funny you mentioned the aversion therapy. I was curious what would happen if you tried to mentally relate the object of your addiction to your worst fear. I've always been completely irrationally petrified of snakes, so I tried mentally associating alcohol with snakes. Sounds crazy but it worked for a little bit...told myself that the next can of beer I opened up would have a snake coiled up in it and every time I visualized beer, I visualized it with a snake next to it or on it...the idea is way out there, but it did create some aversion. lol
Anybody who was ever a young party drinker can usually remember at some time picking up somebody's beer can to swig down the last bit, only to find a cigarette butt in their mouth. Argh!

I've never used that imagery as an alcohol deterrent, but I thought of it with the snake analogy.

Another poster talked about being on Antabuse, so maybe it's still used more than I thought. There's actually another thing like that on the market, only it is in injectible form and lasts a month. I'm not sure if it's available in the US yet.

Another visual deterrent for me that goes with the cigarette-butt-in-the-beer-can technique is the SPIT-IN-THE-BEER-CAN technique. I've seen people do it into their empty can. Imagine that in your drink, and it may help it appear less tantalizing! I've also seen people put stuff in other people's drink as a joke. Use your imagination.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:13 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I would like to add Allan Carr's 'The Easy Way to Stop Drinking'. He attempts to address the misconceptions concerning the excuses alcohol abusers use to justify taking a drink. He makes convincing arguments for all reasons, except for the main reason I used to drink - catching a buzz.

AVRT does well in handling that one for me.