Notices

Do I Need to Help Myself Before I Help Others?

Old 10-07-2011, 12:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Do I Need to Help Myself Before I Help Others?

Hey everyone,

I have posted here before about my battle with my self-assesment with alcohol problems. But recently, my older brother has expressed much more emergent alcoholic needs. I have always known he drank more than the normal person (and more than me - and I think I drink too much), and it has certainly affected his life negatively. Our father drinks too much as well, and was never very supportive to my very sensitive brother. My question is, how do I help him when he has reached out to me for help, when I really don't even know how to help myself? I would do anything to help him, and he says he is going to talk to a therapist, but what else can I do? I feel like it is the blind leading the blind.

Thanks for any advice you can give me, I want to help him so much, he is a wonderful person.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I love this place.

JMO...help yourself, this will be best for you and also make an example to him.

How do you help yourself? Go to AA or some kind of program, or detox/rehab if needed. Talk to your doctor. That would be the 1st things I would do.

Seems he is already helping himself by seeing a therapist so he is also being an example to you.

You can only stop if you want to and same for him.

I am praying for both of you.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

you can be supportive to each other in sobriety...an open line of communication with a close family member could be very helpful for both of you.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

Personally, I think that helping someone else is one of the best ways I can help myself. I don't know about you, but my addiction has severely hurt my ability to be compassionate, selfless, and concerned for anyone else's well-being. I always have to put myself and my sobriety first, but reaching out to someone who's facing the same thing I am is something I have to do to stay out of my own head and to keep me from isolating. Don't pin your sobriety on whether or not your brother gets well, but I don't see any harm in offering encouragement, support, love and help.

--Fenris.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I love this place.

Thanks for making me think Fenris. I wish I could delete my post or edit because your post also makes so much sense! Helping him can in turn help her. I am such a newb.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

take him to an AA meeting. Or set an example by going to one yourself, or by entering some sort of recovery program and sharing with him that you did so. You can't solve anyone's drinking problem but your own.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My question is, how do I help him when he has reached out to me for help, when I really don't even know how to help myself?

Drive him to an AA meeting.