Notices

Still cant Sleep & Question

Old 10-06-2011, 11:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Still cant Sleep & Question

Huge day tomorrow and still cannot sleep, have had a few risky moments but not as bad today and this evening as I expected. Just wondering if I am on a high or something.. I am really concerned about the weekend and am trying to from a plan as I always fall on the weekends but at this moment have no desire to drink which worries me. I normally would be going out right now to find some convience store to buy some alcohol to put me to sleep but not tonight.. I just find that strange and I know that tomorrow will not be the same. I have slept only three hours a night for the last three days and covered over 20 miles in walking plus worked.. Just wish i could sleep.. Also
Have to go to a wedding of a friend I went to Dublin with and cant get out of it on saturday.. My plan is to show up late and leave early.. risky business going to an Irish wedding.. while I am there I am going to set my phone on vibrate with a reminder ever 15 minutes which will go off and tell me not to drink.. anyone have any thoughts on this.. this will be my huge hurdle over the weekend..
Old 10-06-2011, 11:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Ed

there are some common sense tips here for insomnia - I hope something might help
Insomnia? 42 Simple Tips to Help You Get to Sleep - Insomnia treatment, cures

As far as social occasions go, remember you can do whatever you want - and that includes leaving, or not showing up at all if you think thats best for your well-being.

If you do go, there are some great tips here for any social occasions (even if the article is about Thanksgiving):

Crying Out Now: Thanksgiving Survival Guide

D
Old 10-07-2011, 06:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Ed,

From my experience I can be totally uninterested in drinking and 100% committed to it and this can change in a moment. You are really in danger territory because of 1) the week-end 2) a social event where others are drinking. Is there any way you could have a sober friend come with you? Or as Dee recommended not attend? I think your lack of sleep may very well contribute to wanting to drink. I'd recommend catching up on your sleep this week-end and if at all possible not attending.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If you do go to the wedding you need to be prepared to leave as soon as you get the urge to drink, the longer you sit there and think about it the worse it's going to be.

Or, as mentioned, try and avoid it all together. It's really too soon in your recovery to be exposed to copious amounts of alcohol.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've got a wedding type function I am being asked to go to this weekend. I'm not going though. Some of my family is mad at me. After relapses in similar situations it would take a small army to get me to go. I don't give damn if they are mad. I'm sober and that keeps me happy.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks All

I will take all into serious consideration.