Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

October 4 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON

Old 10-05-2011, 12:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Present

October 4 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

Heard at an Al-Anon meeting:
“I have only one person’s guilt to carry; my own. If the alcoholic blames me for his difficulties, I will not accept that blame, but I will not defend myself, either, for that would only start a fruitless battle. I know he blames me because of his painful need to unload some of his remorse on somebody else. This should generate only compassion in me – not resentment or anger.”

Another member responds: “I wish I could believe that! When my husband gets through telling me off, I feel as though the devil were sitting on my back with a fifty pound lead weight in each pocket!”

TODAY’S REMINDER

There is no need for me to accept blame for another person’s irrational actions. I will deal with my own shortcomings. If I do this honestly – following the Fourth to Tenth Steps – the change in me will be reflected in every person whose life touches mine.

“Let me weigh my misdeeds on an honest scale and make restitution as well as I can. But let not the scale be unbalanced by the weight of what others have done.”
Old 10-05-2011, 08:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

wow this is a good one; thanks for posting Meredith!
Old 10-06-2011, 12:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Present

you're welcome and it's my pleasure Tuffgirl I learn so much from typing them...
Old 10-06-2011, 08:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This one hit me like a ton of bricks the day I read it!!! I happened to read it a few hours after my STBXAH unloaded a ton of crap/guilt/blame/shame on me. I was sitting there - letting his CRAP weigh me down - then I read this and *wow* the light went on! I felt sad for his disease, but better knowing that it wasn't about me. It wasn't my fault like he wanted me to believe.

Thank you for posting this Meredith!!!