Notices

I never though it was this bad

Old 10-04-2011, 11:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I never though it was this bad

Wow, its funny I think that I am on night 3 day 2 of sobriety and I cannot sleep. I am screaming for a drink right now... it literally feels like I have to have a drink. I keep trying to justify it by saying that this is an important week for me in business so I will wait until things slow down... Next week.. its ok tonight. I have walked about 8 miles today.. Never though that it would be this rough on night 3 or day 2 or whatever.. shouldnt be counting right, one day at a time? I have taken meletonin as suggested but nothing but severe anxiety right now.. is that normal?
Old 10-05-2011, 12:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Yes I think that's normal.

I'm glad to hear that you are still fighting it out. One day (or hour, minute, second) at a time is the only way to go.

Try putting on some quiet music and just relaxing. If nothing you can do can get you to sleep try just lying there with your eyes closed and try to relax.

Keep it up, you're doing great!
Old 10-05-2011, 01:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
instant

It's not until I stopped that I realised how tight the grip was and how severe a problem it can be. It will get better.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to sobriety lol. Most people find themselves with insomnia and anxiety when they first quit, but it won't hurt to talk to your dr. Some people take medication short term to address those issues. It can be dangerous to quit without medical supervision, depending on your health and pattern of drinking. As for the cravings, if you didn't have them, quitting wouldn't be an issue. You'd just stop drinking and not think about. It's that "have to have a drink" feeling that separates the problem drinker from the normal drinker.

Many of us do count our sober days, even though we take those days one at a time. If it's helpful, keep a count. It really helps me. I'd feel less focused and centred if I didn't count.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I said to myself at that time something like 'I am about to lose everything that I live for, I will get only one chance to make this work, and I will do this thing because I can'.

I told myself this over and over when that 'Have to have a drink' voice started poking me and nagging me and yelling at me. That was when I decided that voice was no longer me, that I was really the person that I used to be back then.

Now, I am the person that I want to be again. Hang in, EdHarley. Tomorrow will be better. Keep posting here and you will find the support you need.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Made it through

Thanks everyone for your support .. only slept two hours but made it through..
Old 10-05-2011, 06:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I had trouble sleeping last night too (day 10 today). But I know from personal experience (1 time sober over a year) that it WILL get better. In the long run, I'd rather suffer from insomnia for a few weeks, then live the LIFE of a drunk!!
You can do it... keep reading and posting!
Old 10-05-2011, 06:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey Harley, this is the time that some may want to cave the most because of no sleep, going to lose work for being sober thinking they were better off drinking, don’t listen to that voice we were all right there once, it will get better but may seem like it's getting worse first.

I remember those days, I counted every one of them, I don’t keep track as often now but I do look it up from time to time, it's been 227 days and counting, do whatever you need to do to make this work counting or not.

Thing is we pull for those who try, it's like someone going down in quicksand, the ones who reach out will get the most support, keep posting...

Old 10-05-2011, 07:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Ed: It does get better. Another tool that has helped me with the more minor cravings has been "rubber band therapy" I wear a rubber band around my wrist. Every time a think of drinking I snap it (gently!) to refocus my thoughts around something more positive and remind myself of my decision not to drink. I have a little mantra that I say when I snap it...whatever works for you (mine is along the lines of "my life belongs to me, not beer").

Sounds like you have been handling the more severe craving the same way I do, with a long walk.

You have made it this far....good job!