Notices

Really Need a Push right Now

Old 10-04-2011, 10:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Really Need a Push right Now

Feeling overwhelmed on day 2, mom just called and was upset she needs surgery. My brother is sick as well and living with her. I couldnt tell her about my problems becouse i felt terriable. My ex girlfriend texted me and asked me to dinner..all of these triggers on day 2 are killing me...
Old 10-04-2011, 10:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Drinking to alleviate anxiety is the great bait-and-switch of the addiction. In that it almost always makes things worse and we only become more anxious!

Maybe go to a movie instead of dinner? Or ask the GF over for a DVD or some television. Certainly let those closest to you know that you are no longer drinking so they don't show up with a bottle as a gift or something. As the old saying goes, "Nothing changes if nothing changes." So let the change begin.

Count the hours or the minutes if you must. Take a deep breath. Go to a support group. Take a walk. Spend some time in the chat room here. Do whatever you need to do to keep from drinking. And certainly share this fact with your GF. You really can't stop drinking in secret. You can in privacy but those around you may need to know a little about it.

Best of luck. You can do it.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

Do your best not to be alone right now. We're awesome at rationalizing our drinking and not being alone will help keep you accountable and honest with yourself. Good luck.

--Fenris.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I missed your last thread Ed - welcome
What are you doing for support besides SR?

D
Old 10-04-2011, 08:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for your post! You did the right thing by sharing your feelings with us.

What helped me was finding a support group to go to daily in the beginning.
For me it was Alcoholics Anonymous, there are also many more groups as well. The great thing about AA is that there are many meetings in every city and town daily. It was amazing to meet others who were going through or have gone through the same struggles that I have gone through. I did not want to go at first but I can honestly say it is a main reason for me that I can be here sober 3 years later. I would highly recommend a support group of some type.

To find a local AA meeting check out.
Alcoholics Anonymous : How to Find A.A. Meetings

Exercise!
Meeting with others, Talking, Volunteering my time to help out in the community, helped me get out of my own head, which helped me stay sober.

I drank to escape my problems. When I stopped drinking I still had my problems but I did not have a way to cope with it. Since then I have learned little by little ways to "cope" with Life. Its a ongoing process but it really helps to have a support group (such as this web forum) as well as in person support.

All the best to you!
Old 10-04-2011, 08:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Ed,

Just know that it's okay to do what you are comfortable with. Try to not feel pressured by expectations from other people, and know that you will get used to dealing with life's problems.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi Ed - that's a lot for day 2...... Remember, though, you only have to get through today. Try to keep things as simple as possible and take it easy on yourself. Put things off if you have to. You'll feel a lot better in another day or two.

Sorry to hear about your mom. Maybe one thing you could think of is how good it would feel to be sober and do something nice for her when she's getting over her surgery.

We're here for you!
Old 10-04-2011, 10:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Hope you made it through the day ok, Ed. I know for myself I had to hide from everyone that first week. I locked myself away just as if I was sick with the flu. I think that's ok as long as you are able to stay sober and come out of your shell once the detox is over.

Best wishes