Definition of "being clean"

Old 10-03-2011, 08:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Definition of "being clean"

To be really and truly "clean" if you're a drug addict does that mean no alcohol or marijuana as well? My boyfriend kicked his drug addict daughter out about 5 months ago and she's making big speeches on her Facebook page about how she's "clean". All the relatives are eating it up and loving it (her brother, grandmother and aunt). She claims that living with her friend at her friends parents house has gotten her clean because they've helped her. But, all she talks about is going out drinking every night, doing bong hits, and has pictures of herself laying face-down on the ground passed out. ??? I'm confused. Is it "okay" for an addict to be doing this? Her mother is an alcoholic and I think that what has happened is that she's just switched her dependency from drugs to alcohol and pot. But, it seems like everyone around her views this as being okay and that she's now not an addict.

I'm confused.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Programmaddict

Alcohol and marijuana are drugs.
Addicts are addicted to drugs.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Clean is abstaining from all mind-altering substances, alcohol and pot included.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hmmm.....lying face down passed out from drinking does not sound clean to me....
Old 10-03-2011, 10:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah...that's all kind of what I was thinking. I guess family members are just so desperate to hear those magical words "I'm clean" that they overlook things or justify them somehow...like alcohol is legal, and pot is no big deal compared to the harder drugs she was on...she has simply switched her addictions. Gotta love how they use Facebook to manipulate people. The picture of her passed out drunk was actually posted on a friend's page...so I guess maybe the relatives didn't see it. She tries to be careful about what appears on her page...but she's really not too bright.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

She is smarter than her relatives, she has them conned.

No, she is not clean, and probably is already using the hard stuff.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

She is a master manipulator...she is smart when it comes to that, yes.

Her family is very naive when it comes to addiction, and her father had to finally learn the hard way, after believing her time and time again that she was off of drugs. She's trying to get her grandmother and aunt to put pressure on her father to believe she's clean...she needs someone to give her a car (again) and the only person who will do that is her father. Facebook...gotta love it...