Notices

waking up sober

Old 10-01-2011, 03:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

waking up sober

Hi all! I just wanted to say that i am so thrilled today. Last night was a huge test of my own creation. I was home all alone on a Friday night, all night. It was also the end of day 4 after a relapse last weekend. Well, I managed to do it, stay sober!!! I made good choices!! Even though no one, kids and hubby alike, were not home all night, I knew I could drink and no one would know, BUT ME..... I chose not to leave the house, hung out with a sober gf and watched a movie, had some girl talk and replayed our own tapes to each other. we had great fun!! And now that it is morning, I am so happy to be awaking without traces of a bad night haunting me, no broken wine glasses, no half empty glasses laying around. No drunken texts or phones calls. Seriously, not one piece of a larger puzzle of bad things that come to me when i choose to drink. I think I am getting back to my pink cloud of happiness in regards to sobriety!!! yeehaa!!!
Old 10-01-2011, 03:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Fantastic! Keep it up
Old 10-01-2011, 04:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

i remember my first sober weekend, waking up with no feeling of wild panic. I still enjoy it immensely. Good going, enjoy the rest of your weekend too.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's so great waking up without "fear." My biggest fear, when I was drinking/using, was waking up and having a very vague memory of being on the computer and getting flashes of memories. I had a big problem of going to the computer and writing long, ridiculous and snotty e-mails to friends and family. I was always scared to death to go to my "sent" file, and sometimes would wait two or three days before I could muster up the nerve. Sure enough, when I did go, those vague memories were proven true, and I had to begin the process of making amends to all those I had mistreated verbally. Some forgave......some didn't.

Don't have to worry about that anymore........as long as I don't pick up that first drink. Funny how a few drinks (or more) can turn our lives from fairly "simple," to outrageously difficult just cleaning up the messes. I have even noticed a new happiness in my cat.......she always hid when I was drinking, could not understand all the stumbling around and the messes I created. What I was doing was creating an "insecurity" for her, and I am glad I am not doing that anymore.

Off the subject......but oh well, at least I am sober and much much happier.

Good luck, glad you had a good sober night with your GF.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratualtions! I wish you the best of luck in staying on that right path!
Old 10-01-2011, 06:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Waking up feeling good is my first of many daily rewards for staying sober!
Old 10-01-2011, 07:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I so agree, these mornings are Priceless. Im more of a binge drinker, not every day drinker, but my sober mornings had me wanting permanent sobriety many times...
basias, I had the same problem, emailing stupid, or angry letters, and having vague memories of it in the morning, ugh! I couldn't look at my sent letters for days either. Actually a couple times I decided that so & so deserved it though. :rotfxko

Here's to a sober Saturday everybody! I'll be popping on all day.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sounds like you've made recovery "yours", and it's precious to you. This is fantastic!
Old 10-01-2011, 08:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

It is thrilling to choose living life alcohol free...ah freedom sweet freedom, good stuff!
Old 10-01-2011, 09:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Oh yeah, those hungover remorseful mornings (or afternoons, depends on when I stopped/passed out). Brings back some sad memories as I think of them. Life is so much better waking up with a clear head....not having to undo actions I would have never done had I been sober. Geez, I sure don't miss feeling that way! I am so glad for you.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

hope you continue to wake up sober and happy....
It's certainly the best thing you can do for yourself.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing... I needed to be reminded about those types of mornings ....
Old 10-01-2011, 10:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yeah, I always found when staying sober that I got my weekends "back". It's amazing how much you can get done when you are not hung over!