Notices

Hi! New to forum

Old 09-30-2011, 07:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi! New to forum

Hi! I just came across this forum earlier today and thought I would like to give it a try. I have participated on other types of forums (music, politics, etc..) in the past but the topic of sobriety and recovery are very good topics for me right now.

My name is Garry. I am 45 years old, single male and I have been a heavy everyday beer drinker and chain smoker for the past 33 years. I have also used some other types of drugs though not as hard or heavy as alcohol and nicotine.

Unfortunetaly for me I also worked for a while in my twenties with a chemical which started causing me to have collapsed lungs. After the third time I had a surgery done. But I never stopped smoking or drinking heavily and now my health is hurting badly. I have been stupid though and put off seeing a doctor. The insanity of a alcoholic.

It is the health issues that have lead me to sobriety and recovery being that I have never had any other serious problems from my addictions (no DUIs, no jail, no relationship problems, same job 14 years, etc...) - I simply have hurt myself badly through neglect and abuse and other problems were always hovering around though I somehow always avoided them directly.

Right now though I have 130 days sober thanks to the grace of God and the fellowship of A.A.

Things have still though been tough for me due to my smoking and my health (bad numbness and symptoms) but I finally have made some more progress there as well and I currently have 11 days nicotine free. I plan on stopping my procrastination as well and to start seeing a doctor ASAP.

Though I am obviosuly facing some tough things right now health wise my disposition is rather well. I tend to believe that I am finally facing all of this for a purpose. My entire life has changed drastically in the past year and I am accepting change. I can only try my best and remain hopeful about any news I get in regards to my health.

That is a quick synopsis of where I am at right now. I look forward to hopefully sharing here and getting to know some people over time.

Garry
Old 09-30-2011, 08:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome TrueYouTrueMe

Glad to have you here - you'll find a lot of support in our (not so) little community.
Good for you in stopping the smokes and for deciding to see a Dr - both great moves

D
Old 09-30-2011, 08:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi Garry - welcome to the forum!

Congratulations on your sober time (and cig-free time too!) I'm sorry you have health issues. I can certainly relate to not taking care of myself for years.

Keep taking it one day at a time and be good to yourself. I think you'll enjoy being here...... Mutual support is so important for us!
Old 09-30-2011, 08:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Garry.Congrats on the 130 days.This is a great forum.I'm sure you will find alot support here....
Old 09-30-2011, 08:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the welcome. A forum like this does seem like it could be something that can help me a lot right now. I know last weekend was rough for me due to the recent deletion of nicotine from my life. It actually started me thinking more of drinking as well but I do not want to go backwards. The time to change is now.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Pleased to meet you, Gary. There are some wonderful, helpful people here. It's such a great feeling to not be alone anymore.

Congratulations on your 130 days. I can imagine how hard that was, since you started using alcohol at such a young age. Great that you quit smoking and plan to see a doctor, too. Very glad you've joined us!
Old 09-30-2011, 08:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome!!
Old 09-30-2011, 08:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

(((Garry))) welcome to SR, and congrats on your 130 days and 11 days I truly admire you on the smoking..I've gotten over alcohol, opiates, and crack, but the cigs are still my vice.

SR has been a HUGE part of my recovery, and I didn't think to get the link before I posted, but there is a forum for nicotine recovery, too. I "fit" in a lot of forums, and have always found great ES&H wherever I go.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 09-30-2011, 09:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi, Garry. Welcome aboard. I know you'll get a lot of support here. I just saw your post on another thread—glad to come over here and see that your are planning to see a doctor. I can relate; I was worried I did some serious damage. But the body can do a wonderful job of healing itself, once we quit. Seeing a doctor allowed me to set my mind at ease.

Congrats on 130 days—that's terrific.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Hi Garry! We're happy that you are here. Congrats on 130 days!
Old 09-30-2011, 09:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Garry, Welcome!

It sounds like you have a good attitude about your health and your recovery.

Accepting what 'is' can be really hard, but I think as you are accepting your health issues, you are beginning to take care of yourself in a way that will help you the most.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome! Keep going to those AA meetings. For me, the combination of AA and this site have really helped.