Notices

Why 5am?????

Old 09-29-2011, 05:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angry Why 5am?????

Yep, sure is great not being hungover this morning, but............what the hell is up with this internal alarm clock of mine waking me up at 5am every darn day????

Sure, sobriety brings many much needed changes, and lots of gifts for persevering, but why can't I just get a few hours of uninterrupted bliss by oversleeping now and then? I get up before the cows and don't even have any. Wwhen I was drinking, I would often awake hungover, smack the alarm into another doze cycle, and often sleep half the day away just getting over the booze. Now, well even if I stay up late watching old movies or the new shows that are designed for the intellectual level of a three year old, I still awake at 5am.

I think the real problem here is probably sex related, for when you're not getting any, well, there sure is a lot more energy to go around. Now, if I could just find someone who wanted a little energy, lol.

I know, I know, this here ain't one of em air dating sites, lol.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

I know what you mean, except for getting the sex...lol.. I'm the typical, terminally lonely guy. I set my alarm for 7 and got up at 5 this morning, When I was younger I could\would hit the snooze bar until I had slept 8 hours past the alarm (lost A LOT of jobs that way), now days, when I wake I can't force myself back to sleep.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hmmmm.......

Got nothing.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

5:30 for me ..... every day..... and I'm a happily married man. It is just one of those things. I got things to do, so lets go do them.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've noticed that the older I get the earlier I can get up. I'm 41 and naturally wake up about 6:30 these days. In my youth I could easily sleep in until 10 or so.

And maybe your internal body clock is getting ready for daylight savings time? I know that happens to me also!
Old 09-29-2011, 07:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Honey..the problem isn't if your getting any or not...it's are you obsessing on it?

Some nights I only sleep 6 hours, others I sleep 12...sometimes I think it's about sex, sometimes it never crosses my mind...

It is what you make it.

Sleep when your tired and get up when you are awake...or as a sufi said, if you can't sleep pray...will it help, maybe not but you stop dwelling on the sleep thing!

Up since 5:30 am this morning...I can spend hours trying to figure it out or get up and do something LOL....figuring it out only gets you so far (hug)
Old 09-29-2011, 01:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

well, I don't think it's necessarily sex related FS - I can go through weeks of waking at 3am and then suddenly, with no changes in my life, it stops.

I know why I wake at 5.30 am these days tho - I live around parrots - and they are noisy :

D
Old 10-01-2011, 10:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have the same problem with an internal clock that wakes me up around 5 even on weekends. But it is ok as I'm not hungover. Way better than waking up at 3 AM after drinking and not being able to get back to sleep!
Old 10-01-2011, 11:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well, I wake up at 5 am everyday, but that is because I started walking my dogs before work M-F at that time, and they don't know that the plan did not include weekends. So I get the big black noses in my face if I don't get up! I am sure my dogs are just as happy that I quit drinking as I am. I love them so much.

The problem is that I am only 51 days sober, and I usually spend most of the weekend mornings (and sometimes early afternoons) in bed because I don't want to do anything else. It is getting a little better, but I want to be energetic like I used to be (before I began my drinking career). So - firestorm, you aren't the only one.....I just hope you do more with your time than I am doing. P.S. I really enjoy your posts.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I envy all of you. I go to bed at 11 and have a hard time getting up at 10 the next day. I have no problem sleeping toll 1 in the afternoon. I wish I would ahve the energy and get up earlier.
And no it is definitly a sex thing for me....
Old 10-01-2011, 03:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
heartofamama

i say those 3am or 5am wake up times (that seem senseless to us) are
opportunity 2 listen to what God has to say 2 u.
it's really true, (& He's not out to scold you, but to Love u