Fostering a new dog

Old 09-27-2011, 01:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Oh my! Prayers going out and up! I hope someone will be willing to take the sweet baby. Raised right, those dogs can be loving and faithful companions.

And there I go being clairvoyant again.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Fostering a new dog

Yes, I need to have my head examined!

Amber now works full-time for our veterinarian, who is also unfortunately the acting dog pound.

Normally the dogs only have 3 days, but she does take a lot of them to the humane society in Wichita to give them a chance.

A week ago a 4-5 month old female pitbull mix came in. She's adorable, and all wiggles. Taking her to the humane society isn't an option as they euthanize all pitbulls and pitbull mixes.

I couldn't bear to see this baby euthanized.

She's red and has amber colored eyes so I named her Poppy. Amber is bathing her today and will help me introduce her to my gang tomorrow afternoon.

Please pray the introductions go well and I am able to find the little girl a loving stable home!
Old 09-27-2011, 01:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
Oh my! Prayers going out and up! I hope someone will be willing to take the sweet baby. Raised right, those dogs can be loving and faithful companions.
I had a beautiful white female pitbull for almost 5 years. Sadly I lost her to liver failure the same month she turned 5, three years ago. I still miss her to this day.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What a giving thing to do for both the dog and you.

I have fostered dogs, cats and even horses and the end result of seeing an 'unwanted' animal find a forever home is truly worth the effort!
Old 09-27-2011, 01:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I hear the pitty patty of little paws!

Pictures, please!

CLMI
Old 09-27-2011, 02:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Good thing you live so far away.......
She would be in my lap by sunset!

I had a white english/pit mix. Or I should say - she had me!

She was a rescue.

Good luck on finding Poppy a permanent home!
Old 09-27-2011, 02:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by catlovermi View Post
I hear the pitty patty of little paws!

Pictures, please!

CLMI
As soon as she's settled with the rest of my crew, I promise I will get pictures.

She was so wiggly today when I went to visit her that pictures just were NOT going to happen!

I got my face and both ears cleaned...she's quite the little kisser!

It would be interesting to know what's in the mix. Her legs are too short for her body, but who knows what growth spurts will bring.

Her paws are HUGE!
Old 09-27-2011, 02:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Oh, Dev you are a sucker for those wiggles and wet kisses, aren't you?
You are an angel to take in that pup.
We all can agree having a loving and knowledgeable home and lots of socialization with other dogs is going to make her chances of adoption so much better and brighter.
So sad that she has to live down the breed prejudice out there. Every pit raised well, as all dogs should have the chance to be, will help bring down that prejudice to so you are doing more than saving 1 pup for sure!

Many blessings over the intros with the zoo crew. Can't wait to meet her little face online thru pictures!!

Alice
Old 09-27-2011, 02:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Devon, thank you for doing that, from one happy pitbull owner to another! I have been sold on the breed for 5 years now, and my new little puppy (Lola) is another mix. She is so sweet-natured and social and just loves everyone and everything. She is also doing very well on potty training already and had mastered several important commands.

However, she's a punk to the other dogs...I saw her sneak up on my Boston Terrier like a cat stalking a mouse. She's bigger than him now and just pounced right on top of the poor guy...he was furious!
Old 09-28-2011, 07:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tuffgirl View Post
Devon, thank you for doing that, from one happy pitbull owner to another!
They are wonderful loyal companions for sure. Poppy comes home today, so still praying the introductions go well. The one thing I am concerned about is the older dogs (greyhound-10, golden retriever mix-almost 14). I hope she learns quickly to leave them alone.

I'm just glad I was able to provide a place for her. No baby deserves to be euthanized!