Notices

aa?

Old 09-27-2011, 11:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy aa?

I just went to my universities psychologist at the urging of friends and told me that if im not already an alcoholic I'm well on my way. It runs in the family. He suggested that I go to an AA meeting but I'm not sure I could. What happens when you go to your first meeting? If im a 20yr old woman will I be out of place?
Old 09-27-2011, 11:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

Depending upon where you are, lots of campuses have AA meetings. if not, there are "young people's" meetings around. I imagine Ohio would be ideal for many different kinds of AA meetings given that AA started there. If I am wrong, please let me know Ohioans - I've never been to meetings there.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

No one at an AA meeting is out of place.
That's what is great about them.The people there are all ages and all of them have the same disease;they won't judge you.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by zorilla View Post
No one at an AA meeting is out of place.
You could show up at some the meetings in my area with a bottle of booze in one hand, a rattle snake in the other and dressed in toilet paper and no one would give you a second look.

Well, maybe if it was a 20 year old female wearing only toilet paper they would... LOL!
Old 09-27-2011, 11:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Have you tried quitting?
Old 09-27-2011, 01:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not an AAer but if you went to a meeting on or around your campus I don't think you'd be out of place at all

good luck avg

D
Old 09-27-2011, 03:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Here is what to expect: Your First AA Meeting
Old 09-27-2011, 04:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

You will not be out of place - especially if you do some research ahead of time and find a group that has younger people in it.

I'm only 26 and I've been to several meetings where the average age was easily several years younger than me. Even if this isn't the case though, I wouldn't be surprised if you felt like you fit right in despite any age differences. Most people in AA are very supportive and welcoming of new people, regardless of age.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not an AA person, but I do hope you find something that works for you.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

AA originated in Akron, Ohio.

My college in Pennsylvania had meetings on campus in 1980.

Check online: aa city state or check your campus.

If you want a young crowd, check out an NA meeting.

Best wishes! Many people I know knew they were alkies before age 26.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Avg, I'm a 22 year old college guy. I got tired of the benders and **** ups and decided it's time to go. I'm not religious at all, never thought about religion. I can't tell you what kind of people you will encounter because it differs, but if you have actually come to accept you have a problem then you will not feel out of place at all. My dad was an alcoholic, so I know where you are coming from. If your friends are urging you to see a psychologist and the doctor said you should go to aa, you should go. When I was 20 I had a problem, but never went. Boy did I wish I did. The one thing I can guarantee is that if you don't do something about it, it will only get worse. No iffs ands or butts. For the sake of your family, friends, and most importantly, yourself... try going to one meeting. I will also guarantee that no one will be judging you, believe me they have probably done far, far worse than you. Don't throw away your college career for booze. Good luck girl
Old 09-28-2011, 09:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I went to some AA meetings when I was in college. I remember there was one on campus that was almost all students and lots of professors. If you go to a major or even decent sized school I'm sure you would be suprised at the amount of young people at meetings.