Notices

Facial twitch?

Old 09-26-2011, 11:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Facial twitch?

I posted this in friends and family also. Does anyone know if drinking can cause a face twitch? I noticed my husband has started to have this odd lip twitch. It kind of seems.like a nervous thing. I have been trying to stop drinking and he has cut down, which is great. Just wondering has anyone heard of this? I tried looking it up and no info. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well I'm not a Dr so I'm not even going to venture a diagnosis.

I'd think your best bet is to get it checked out with a Dr, no matter what the cause songtx.

Hope it all turns out ok
D
Old 09-27-2011, 08:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I had developed a very slight but annoying twitching which could occur anywhere on my body. Like small muscles in my eye lids, lips or anywhere. A Dr told me it was stress and B vitamin related, in my case, and not something to worry over.

I still get them, but much less often than when I was actively drinking.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Songtx View Post
I posted this in friends and family also. Does anyone know if drinking can cause a face twitch?
I had them for several months after I quit drinking and nothing I could do would stop them. I simply had to wait for them to fade with time.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Heathen

Towards the end, and for a few months after I quit, I was twitchy. Parts of my face/eye/mouth, even sometimes in my legs and hands. My counselor told me it was peripheral neuropathy caused by my drinking, and while not always reversible would likely fade over time. That's just my experience, a symptom like that could be caused by many many things.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I developed a slight twitch in my left eyelid around the same time I was diagnosed with high blood pressure. The blood pressure was put down to my excessive drinking.

GP is surely a must for any sort of health anomaly.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Like smacked above, toward the end I had twitches, and for a while after I stopped.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Not waving, but drowning

Yes, I had a facial twitch by my eye that eventually stopped a while after I stopped drinking. It was quite bothersome and I wondered if anyone else had noticed and attributed it to the alcohol. I also had hand tremors and those resolved completely as well.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Old thread new question

[how about unilateral shoulder shrugging? Can it cause that?

QUOTE=Songtx;3118036]I posted this in friends and family also. Does anyone know if drinking can cause a face twitch? I noticed my husband has started to have this odd lip twitch. It kind of seems.like a nervous thing. I have been trying to stop drinking and he has cut down, which is great. Just wondering has anyone heard of this? I tried looking it up and no info. Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]
Old 12-09-2017, 01:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Songtx View Post
I posted this in friends and family also. Does anyone know if drinking can cause a face twitch? I noticed my husband has started to have this odd lip twitch. It kind of seems.like a nervous thing. I have been trying to stop drinking and he has cut down, which is great. Just wondering has anyone heard of this? I tried looking it up and no info. Thanks in advance.
From what I've read, things like the shakes and twitches and cramps are a common after effect of prolonged drinking for two possible reasons. One is electrolyte imbalances from dehydration. The second is that alcohol is a nervous system depressant. The body gets used to alcohol being in the system, and gears up a bit to accommodate. Then when alcohol is gone, the nervous system stays a bit over reactive for a while. More than likely it will go away with time.
Old 12-09-2017, 01:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Glad I saw this, I've had an annoying left eye twitch since I quit drinking. I'm glad to see that it will probably go away!