Notices

Back Again

Old 09-26-2011, 05:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back Again

Hi guys,

Well I'm on another Day 1. Looking positively, I've actually been finding it harder and harder to drink again, I feel stronger and like I'm getting "better" at the whole sobriety thing (I know that sounds stupid considering I'm on Day 1 again but still). The only thing that seems to have helped me to stay sober in the past is acceptance. I am an alcoholic, I am powerless over my addiction, I can't continue to live like this. I've also found it's helped me to just accept that I may not ever be a "recovered" alcoholic, or in "recovery", I find it helps me much more to just be a non-drinker. I don't smoke cigarettes or do drugs, but I also don't judge those that do, I'm just a non-drug user/non-smoker, next I hope to be a non-drinker. I don't necessarily regret my past, I've just had enough of it and want the next chapter in my life, a healthier, serene chapter.

Probably won't be sleeping well for the next night or two so going to do some lurking around the site. Thanks.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Best After Date:June 12, 2011

Congrats on day one of being re sober. Coming back after a relapse and going at it again is what's important. Look ahead to feeling good and proud again.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Bored3
I've had two distinct parts to my recovery - the initial part was focusing of nmot drinking, but the greater part has been just living life - making everything count

I couldn't go on to the second without the first, but I wouldn't be finishing the job if I just stayed in the initial phase either

I think you have the right idea

D
D
Old 09-26-2011, 07:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome back!
Old 09-26-2011, 08:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Glad you're here and thanks for the post..... I like the fact that you're setting your sights on a "healthier, serene chapter." Day 1 is the more important day!
Old 09-26-2011, 09:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sounds like you're pretty well adjusted for where you are now and the road ahead. Congrats and I wish you well on your journey!
Old 09-26-2011, 10:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Bored 3,

I'm glad you're here and I hope you keep coming back. I had to often remind myself that one drink was too much, while 5 or 7 were not enough! I wish you good luck in becoming a non-drinker. Good things don't come easy, but you'll receive tremendous help by reading our "Big Book", along with attending face-to-face meetings.

At my very first meeting, an old timer asked me "How badly do you want sobriety? Are you willing to go to any lengths to get it? My answer was "YES!" Since then I've never been happier or more grateful.

Give it your best shot, okay?

LUV2ALL
Old 09-26-2011, 10:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

"Get busy living or get busy dying."

Sounds like you're ready for the former. Thanks for coming back. We need you!
Old 09-27-2011, 05:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

On Day 2 now, got some sleep last night, not too great but that was to be expected.

Just feeling pretty crappy today, as I did yesterday, really hot flushes, some liver pain but hopefully that's easing up. I just kinda know I need to get through today and tomorrow will be better, as will the next day and next day.

Thanks for all the comments.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

hi bored.
slips can be a good thing?
but only if we learn from them
Old 09-27-2011, 03:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am back from slipping up as well. Learned lots about myself, even found my commitment stronger this time. Hope you are feeling better today.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi all just checking in,

I'm feeling much better tonight, though I realise there will be highs and lows throughout this, especially in the early days. I just have to know that it can only get better consistently day by day.

The hardest part for me is trying to remember, or more importantly not forget, how hard and low I feel when I do drink and how it always ends up with the same outcome. It's amazing how much your brain can play tricks on you, telling you that you can pick it up again, it'll be fun!! etc. Stupid really, but I suppose that's what binds us together as people who can't do it. Maybe it's not so much can't, we're people who won't do it any more. At the end of the day, it's just a drug, a drug that brings people down, some more than others.

The ironic thing to me is that drinking alcohol is supposed to make me feel more confident, when the only thing it's ever done in the long run is bring me down time and time again.

Here's to a happier, sober, serene existence.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Bored3

The liver (ouch) Have you had it checked out? I related to what you said about the confidence such a double sided coin.

All the best
CaiHong
Old 09-27-2011, 04:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaiHong View Post
Hi Bored3

The liver (ouch) Have you had it checked out? I related to what you said about the confidence such a double sided coin.

All the best
CaiHong
I haven't, and thankfully the pain's all but gone by now. I'm sure if I was in somebody else's position I would advise medical attention to check it out, but I'd really rather not go for now. Fingers crossed, I'm still young, and although I know that doesn't guarantee anything I thankfully am not showing any symptoms. At the minute I'm just more focused on staying sober.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

And Day 3

Somebody told me a long time ago that if you could get through three days of giving up an addiction, be they cigarettes, drugs, chocolate, Facebook or even alcohol, they would be the worst you would encounter. God, I hope they were right, but I somehow feel that the battle is just beginning.

Having said that, I feel okay, I feel sharper and like things are coming back to me, but I've felt like this before. As I said previously, I just need to remind myself of how bad it can get. For that, I have memories and posts on here, from me and others.

Feeling fine, taking it one step at a time.

Thanks.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:10 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think the first few days are the worst, physically, but as you know there's a mental component too that takes a lot more work. This race isn't won in 3 days

You've made a great beginning tho Bored

D
Old 09-28-2011, 10:01 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I think the first few days are the worst, physically, but as you know there's a mental component too that takes a lot more work. This race isn't won in 3 days
ding, ding, ding, we have a winner!

The mental aspect is what takes the most energy. But I have no doubt that once you get there, you'll be thrilled with your life
Old 09-28-2011, 10:10 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

One day at a time is all you have to do. Every person in recovery does it one day at a time. You can do this
Old 09-29-2011, 08:49 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Do we have a day 4?

I'm rootin' for ya Bored!
Old 09-29-2011, 12:01 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Yeah still here, Day 4!

Very few temptations so far which, while I'm loving, I can't help but feel there will be pitfalls up ahead. Either that or maybe it's clicked for real this time, but I don't want to be naive, I know as well as anyone this thing can come back at you when you least expect it.

Thanks again for all of the support, it's good to know people care.

I feel more able than I was when I was drunk, less anxious (so far at least) and worried, just trying to deal with things as they come to me.